Solution for Networking Macs

This is a discussion on Solution for Networking Macs within the Apple for Business forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I was just informed by our IT department that our new Macs with Mt. Lion will not have access to our university servers due to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Solution for Networking Macs

I was just informed by our IT department that our new Macs with Mt. Lion will not have access to our university servers due to changes made by Apple in network support. I work in a marketing department where we have both PC's and Macs, and we need access to the network server so we can all share and store files. Our environment is overwhelmingly PC oriented on campus but PC's are not affected, just the Macs.

One solution proposed was to have both a Mac (stand-alone) and PC (for access to the network). Aside from the duplicity in cost, it is an inefficient proposal from a workflow standpoint. I don't understand the reasons behind the decision but we use Macs exclusively with our K-5-HS campus, so I trust our IT folks have followed due diligence procedures. I.e., they know Macs and PC's and the issues facing us. Due to security issues, off-site solutions are not an option (policy). Is there another solution?
    Last edited by bwenzel; 04-02-2013 at 03:01 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    There could be a solution. A Mac can have a PC inside a partition with Bootcamp. What I don't know is what you need. File and data compatibility or communication protocol compatibility?

Another way is to have Macs running older OS's that were compatible with the network. It's just a question or running an older Mac with its original OS CD. For most studies speed and fast processors are not necessarily obligatory.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by iVan View Post
    There could be a solution. A Mac can have a PC inside a partition with Bootcamp. What I don't know is what you need. File and data compatibility or communication protocol compatibility?

Another way is to have Macs running older OS's that were compatible with the network. It's just a question or running an older Mac with its original OS CD. For most studies speed and fast processors are not necessarily obligatory.
    Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, running an older OS system is simply delaying the inevitable. I currently use Snow Leopard but was told that even it may not be compatible with our network in the coming days. So, I'm perplexed. We need access to our data and files from multiple locations (computers). DropBox might have been a solution but policy prohibits off-site storage.

Member #
    What kind of network architecture are they running? There shouldn't be any problem running ML on most any mixed network

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Wait! Are you studying at Microsoft University BTW?

Yuno Wataï Minh

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    What kind of network architecture are they running? There shouldn't be any problem running ML on most any mixed network
    Sorry, I have no idea of the architecture. . . I'm not a programmer or techi, just an end-user.

Member #
    Wait! Are you studying at Microsoft University BTW?
    Hahaha. . . No, I am employed at a small private university. My questions are sincere and applicable to my current work situation. It's sad but due to Apples decision regarding networks I feel we are actually digressing (if a solution isn't found). Early in my work career I would have two computers and monitors on my desk, a Mac as a stand-alone and a PC to access files on our network. I had to toggle from one to the other using a KVM switch. Now, it seems we are heading back to the early 2000's with that very same configuration.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I made that joke exactly because of that unjustified reversal. It seems incongruous that the number one American computer engineering company should be snubbed this way in its own country. If I were at your university I'd make sure that student body be involved in protest and I'd send letters to Apple itself to let them know of what's happening. Apple has a history of involvement in education spheres and I'm pretty sure that they'd negotiate with those concerned and offer help if this is what they need.

Yuno Wataï Minh

Member #
    I made that joke exactly because of that unjustified reversal. It seems incongruous that the number one American computer engineering company should be snubbed this way in its own country. If I were at your university I'd make sure that student body be involved in protest and I'd send letters to Apple itself to let them know of what's happening. Apple has a history of involvement in education spheres and I'm pretty sure that they'd negotiate with those concerned and offer help if this is what they need.
    Your sense of humor was spot on. . . Microsoft has controlled the business market for some time, and Apple's history of marketing to the educational industry has been just as strong. Yet they are making decisions that will hamper future development in an area they control. Thanks for your insight and suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Mountain Lion should be able to talk to any Microsoft server platform over Samba and share files....I really don't see why this should be a problem. I work from home as a software tester and run a number of Microsoft server and client configurations on my own little domain. My Lion and Mountain Lion Macs have no problems connecting to any of my Windows PCs (Win Server 2012, Win Server 2008, Win XP, Win 7, Win 8) as long as things are configured correctly. I would be intrigued to know why they can't get this working.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads