After deleting an app, can you (much) later reinstall it at anytime?

This is a discussion on After deleting an app, can you (much) later reinstall it at anytime? within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I have a question.. Can I delete an apps like: GarageBand Keynote Numbers Pages iMovie Yeah, I hardly used them at all.. Rarely to none ...

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97
    Member #
    8047
    Liked
    2 times

    After deleting an app, can you (much) later reinstall it at anytime?

    I have a question.. Can I delete an apps like:

    GarageBand
    Keynote
    Numbers
    Pages
    iMovie

    Yeah, I hardly used them at all.. Rarely to none at mostly.

    They came with a free pre install when I purchased a new laptop. No, I don't use time machine at all. So can I get them back after I decide to refreshing my computer Yosemite to a new factory setting in the future without a problem ? No, I repeat.. no time machine to back up.
    Model: MacBook Pro with a Retina, Mid 2014 (Purchased in March 28, 2015) -- macOS Sierra 10.12
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphic Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB

    iPhone 6+ - iOS 10.0.2

  2. Ads

    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    2,353
    Member #
    3040
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, firstly, yes it is "safe" to uninstall the applications you listed, in that removing them will not harm the rest of your system. You "should" be able to reinstall them from the App Store should you wish to at a later date, but there numerous cases littering the internet forums where people have found this difficult....you remove these apps at your own risk.

    As to having no backup regime, well that is your prerogative, but not one I would recommend. My sister has recently dropped her Windows laptop from no more than a couple of feet. The machine is a total write-off and the hard drive also took a knock internally, and it is possible she has lost 12 years worth of family photographs. No backup and all those memories potentially lost forever.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

    iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97
    Member #
    8047
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    OK, firstly, yes it is "safe" to uninstall the applications you listed, in that removing them will not harm the rest of your system. You "should" be able to reinstall them from the App Store should you wish to at a later date, but there numerous cases littering the internet forums where people have found this difficult....you remove these apps at your own risk.

    As to having no backup regime, well that is your prerogative, but not one I would recommend. My sister has recently dropped her Windows laptop from no more than a couple of feet. The machine is a total write-off and the hard drive also took a knock internally, and it is possible she has lost 12 years worth of family photographs. No backup and all those memories potentially lost forever.
    Hi!

    Sorry about your sister. No, of course, I always back up my pics and my works to external hard drive. The apps are what I am talking about. I downloaded a few apps that were "all recent free price drops for mac apps". Also those apps file that came with pre installing. Can I uninstalled them without back up and when I reformat my mac in the future and I type them and they will be there ? I mean Erase my computer and REFORMAT. That's what concern me at first.
    Model: MacBook Pro with a Retina, Mid 2014 (Purchased in March 28, 2015) -- macOS Sierra 10.12
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphic Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB

    iPhone 6+ - iOS 10.0.2

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    2,353
    Member #
    3040
    Liked
    134 times
    Yes, all the Apps you have purchased on the App Store (either paid or free) will always be available for you to download at the later date.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

    iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97
    Member #
    8047
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    Yes, all the Apps you have purchased on the App Store (either paid or free) will always be available for you to download at the later date.
    You sure ? It doesn't matter ? Even I do not back them up ? (I prefer not to back them up). I just back up my important works on external hard drive already.. Not apps. You sure ?
    Model: MacBook Pro with a Retina, Mid 2014 (Purchased in March 28, 2015) -- macOS Sierra 10.12
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphic Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB

    iPhone 6+ - iOS 10.0.2

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    2,353
    Member #
    3040
    Liked
    134 times
    Sure, sign-in the Mac App Store, click on Purchases, and from there you can re-download any of the free or paid apps you have listed.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

    iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97
    Member #
    8047
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    Sure, sign-in the Mac App Store, click on Purchases, and from there you can re-download any of the free or paid apps you have listed.
    Thank you.
    Model: MacBook Pro with a Retina, Mid 2014 (Purchased in March 28, 2015) -- macOS Sierra 10.12
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphic Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB

    iPhone 6+ - iOS 10.0.2

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How can I wipe the hard disc and reinstall
    By 11642bill in forum PowerPC Mac
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 05:48 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 11:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM
  5. Deleting photos
    By Cookie in forum iPhone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 03:27 AM

Contact Us
Back to top