Downgrading From ios 9.1Beta to ios 8.4

This is a discussion on Downgrading From ios 9.1Beta to ios 8.4 within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I am a new iphone user and have recently upgrade to the new ios 9.1 Beta on my iphone 6 Plus. One of the things ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JezzerP

Thread: Downgrading From ios 9.1Beta to ios 8.4

Member #

Downgrading From ios 9.1Beta to ios 8.4

I am a new iphone user and have recently upgrade to the new ios 9.1 Beta on my iphone 6 Plus. One of the things I don't like on an iphone is that you can't customize your home screen unless you Jailbreak your phone with Cydia installed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have found that ios 9 cannot be Jailbroken just yet. I have been on all different websites on how to downgrade your ios and followed the instructions and for some reason it never works. After going through the process using itunes it always ends up going back to the factory settings but still has ios 9 running. I called the local Apple store to see if they could reinstall ios 8 or 8.4. I explained to them what I wanted to do which was basically a clean install of any ios 8 version and that the phone was presently running ios 9.1 The person I talked to said that wouldn't be a problem and told me they could walk me through it on the phone or I could go into the store because they have the software to do it. When I went to the store and waited 45 minutes for a store rep he tells me that it is not possible to clean install an older ios version. Why couldn't they tell me that on the phone. My question is, Is it true or is there a way I could get an earlier ios 8 version back on the phone. If not can ios 9 be Jailbroken or any other option to customise my icon's on my home screen. For example, making icon's smaller, editing the icon name or increasing the number of icons you can have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Thanks for the response. Will this work on an iphone 6 Plus also?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Yes...
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    No, it will not work. If you decide to remove the beta version on your iPhone, you'll still be on 9.1, and this software can't be jailbroken at the moment.

As someone told you, it's also not possible to revert to a previous software version, because 9.1 is the only one signed right now by Apple. During the process of installing a software on the iPhone, Apple ascertains that you don't try to get a different one than the one signed by them. iTunes and the iPhone will connect to Apple servers. If you try to install something different than 9.1, you'll get an error popup, and won't be able to proceed.

Member #
    As far as I know, there is no option to downgrade an ios device, am i right?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristinerts View Post
    As far as I know, there is no option to downgrade an ios device, am i right?
    When Apple release a new version of iOS, it IS possible to downgrade to the previous version for a short time after the new release is available. This is only possible whilst Apple continue to digitally sign the older version of the software, normally a period of less than a week. After Apple stop signing the older version of the software then it becomes impossible to downgrade.
    J. A. likes this.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads