Is App Store Blocking Video Downloading Apps in USA?

This is a discussion on Is App Store Blocking Video Downloading Apps in USA? within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Im a brand new forum member, so I hope this is not a dumb question. Every time I try to download a recommended free video ...

Member #

Question Is App Store Blocking Video Downloading Apps in USA?

Im a brand new forum member, so I hope this is not a dumb question. Every time I try to download a recommended free video downloader app (with one exception), it no longer exists in the App Store or the App Store says it is not for sale in the United States. Does anyone know what is going on? I found one exception and I am concerned if I upgrade to iOS10, that this downloader app will stop working based on my assumption Apple is trying to ban downloader apps in the USA (or maybe it is my carrier, AT&T). I don't know. Any advice on what is going on, alternate apps (although I guess you are not supposed to promote apps on this forum), and whether or not I should upgrade to iOS10 based on my concern? Thanks for any suggestion!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Not being a citizen of the US, I cannot be certain, but I would think most of your assumptions are correct. Apple are very hot on removing apps that allow 'illegal' downloads of copyrighted material. Whether the one you have will cease to work if you upgrade is anyone's guess.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Oh, and you are correct, I am afraid we can't have this forum promoting illegal activities, so any comments that do so will be removed.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Thanks for the response. On this forum, I hope it is not inappropriate to at least identify what activities are "illegal" so people are more aware. Can anyone else confirm that Apple considers all video downloading apps illegal? And if so, why, apparently, are they only blocking such apps in the USA? I have found recent 2016 links/sites identifying all sorts of free great apps for downloading videos to iPhone/iPad. I guess these people must be outside the USA. Can anyone confirm this and whether iOS10 is making video downloading more difficult? Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    In short, your answer is the DMCA, which only applies in the US. So it's possible to find things going on in other countries that are illegal in the States.

Apple sells and rents a lot of music and movies, and has contracts with the studios in order to be allowed to do so. There is no benefit to them if someone manufacturers an app that undermines the profit of their suppliers, especially in an illegal, or unethical, manner.

There's no such thing as a free beer. If most people sell it, and one person gives it away, there's probably something crooked at work.

I don't want to come across as holier-than-thou, but you've joined one of a group of forums whose administrators are not nave about what goes on, but who will not have it happen on their watch.

Member #
    OK. Thanks.

Remove Ads

Ads