Preview: Adjust Size and Color always greyed out

This is a discussion on Preview: Adjust Size and Color always greyed out within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; MAC 10.12 and Preview 9.0 I select all, no help. I use shift and arrow keys to select one page. No help. In both instances, ...

Member #

Question Preview: Adjust Size and Color always greyed out

MAC 10.12 and Preview 9.0

I select all, no help. I use shift and arrow keys to select one page. No help.

In both instances, tools>adjust size is greyed out. Adjust color is also greyed out. I'm assuming adjust color is the way to turn the images from color to black and white. Am I correct?

I have a pdf document that is set for letter size paper. This document will be the Appendices of a book I am submitting. The book needs a pdf file that is (1) Black and White, and (2) the image size can be no larger than 4x7 inches. Some pages will need a percent reduction, while some can be stretched out of shape to fill the 4x7 area (in order to make them most readable in reduced B&W size). The full size color file will be able to be downloaded by customers from the publisher's website.

This is a one time need, so I don't want to buy and learn new software. I'd rather take it to Kinkos and have them do it, if I can't do it with Preview. Or with an online tool such as smallpdf.com which I have been using to convert word to pdf and merge pdf files.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    The PDF isn't locked to editing by any chance?
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.2)
    Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.2)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.2)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.1.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.1.1

Member #
    No, it is not locked.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times

Preview: Adjust Size and Color always greyed out

Right, still a little confused as to exactly what you are trying to achieve here. You have a PDF file? Does it consist of text and colour images? How did you create the PDF file in the first instance? You are trying to turn the whole PDF to B&W? You are trying to make the PDF a certain size?

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.1.1

Member #
    I created the originals in Word over several years of use. The publisher wants a pdf for them instead. So I separated each page into a separate file, went to smallpdf.com, and used their free utilities to first convert each page/file into a pdf, then merged the pages into one document, again on their site.

This original file was created for standard letter size paper and of course uses color to make things stand out for the kids. The book requires the Appendices to be in black and white and limits the image size to 4x7 so it fits in their standard book size. I want readers to see what the appendices look like before they buy the book, so I need to include them in the book. I *could* go back to the original word file and reformat it for 4x7 images then save it that way, and I hope the pdf conversion will respect that. I assume I can figure out in Word how to convert to black and white. But I was trying to be efficient with my time, but Preview is not letting me do anything except open the darn file.

Longer version:
    All pages except one had no real images, just enlarged colored text. This is an appendix for a book about my child activity group for ages 8-11+. I created these over the years as my child group matured. Then I submitted a book with the appendixes just part of the big word file. It did not print well at all. They have asked me to do a second edition. After conversation, it was decided I would create pdf images for all appendix pages, saved as one file (they do not want a mix of .doc and .pdf; just one or the other for this "chapter"). The only actual graphic images were inserted on just one page and consists of a one image from Word's standard clip art library (specifically, a star (repeated 4 times on the page) which I re-sized and color-filled from Word's library's original.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Right, I really don't think Preview is capable of doing what you want it to do. It is a multipurpose image viewer with minor editing capabilities. PDF files were never 'supposed' to be edited directly, and you need some reasonably sophisticated software to do so. I would suggest that your best option is to go back to the original Word document and get the formatting correct there before creating the PDF. Depending on what version you have, Word should be able to export your document direct to PDF....no need for third party software or online conversion sites.

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.1.1

Member #
    Thanks Jezzer. I agree.

Remove Ads

Ads