Update Worth it? Macbook Air 2011

This is a discussion on Update Worth it? Macbook Air 2011 within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hi everyone! I'm pretty much new to apple, other than having used iPods for years. I've recently inherited a Macbook Air (the date on the ...

Member #

Update Worth it? Macbook Air 2011

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty much new to apple, other than having used iPods for years. I've recently inherited a Macbook Air (the date on the back of the device says 2011)
    and it still has older software on it.. which basically does not allow me to download any newer apps such as the new garage band etc.
    And While I did try to download an older garage band online to match my existing system, I would always be brought back to apple's official website in order to
    download the current version of Garage Band... which is not compatible with my computer..

An employee at my local apple store did suggest I come in and they update the computer but I've heard from other people, in the past - not sure how accurate that is, hence why I'm here to ask - that updating to newer system versions on older devices can make the devices run slower and therefore, it isn't worth it. Any thoughts? I could definitely use some expertise. Thanks a ton!!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, you should be able to upgrade a MacBook Air 2011 as far as macOS 10.13 (High Sierra). Can you tell us what version you are currently running? Garage Band is an app that comes with the OS, so by upgrading your OS, you will get a more up to date version of Garage Band. There may be some truth that upgrading older hardware isn't always worth the effort, as newer OS versions often tend to be more resource (memory and harddisk space) hungry. But this isn't always the case, and much depends on what you use your system for and how much you use it.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads