AppleTV

This is a discussion on AppleTV within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I wanna buy the ATV, but I heard that if you download a movie onto it, and then delete it, it won't show up in ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AppleTV

Member #

AppleTV

I wanna buy the ATV, but I heard that if you download a movie onto it, and then delete it, it won't show up in your cloud, and you'd have to buy the movie again. Is this true?

iCory

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    I have never heard of this happening. The Apple TV has no storage of it's own, so anything you 'buy' through the ATV interface gets stored in iTunes on your Mac/PC that is linked to your ATV through Home Sharing. If you have 'Movies in The Cloud' available where you are, all this means is that any purchases made on the iTunes store will be available to stream to your ATV, so long as they are still available in the iTunes Store.

I don't buy anything through my ATV, and use my Mac and the iTunes Store directly....have never lost a file!!
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - Mavericks (10.9.4)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks (10.9.4)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.4)

iPhone 5S - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad Air - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad 2 - iOS 7.1.2

Member #

AppleTV

So if they stop selling a certain title I can lose the file unless I back it up? Thank you for your help.

iCory

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    The very first AppleTV had a hard drive but not the latest few. They can only stream rentals. Those that had a drive were made before Apple got in the movie market. Buying a movie can only be done through a Mac and like all music can be redownloaded through the iTunes store. It will not show up on iCloud.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Member #

AppleTV

Thanks iVan, I'm hoping I can get a AppleTV for Christmas. I think this makes a better way to watch my movies on my tv.

iCory

Banned
    Member #
    No, you won't lose your movies, as you buy it via iTunes, it should be in your iTune library.
    Well, for using the ATV, the ifunia APPle TV column gathers some nice tips&tutorials such as "Apple TV 3 VS. Roku: Which Media Streamer is Right for You", "How to Make All Your Media Files AirPlay-Compatible", "Stream Movies/Music from iPhone to Apple TV"... worth a scrolling.
    BTW, to get a ATV for Christmas is a good idea.

Ads