Dual Booting Mac OS X with Win 8 *Mac Noob*

This is a discussion on Dual Booting Mac OS X with Win 8 *Mac Noob* within the Apple Discussions forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hello, I'm looking to dual boot Mac OS X with Windows 8. I've never used a MAC before but I'm really interested in checking it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JezzerP

Thread: Dual Booting Mac OS X with Win 8 *Mac Noob*

Member #

Dual Booting Mac OS X with Win 8 *Mac Noob*

Hello,

I'm looking to dual boot Mac OS X with Windows 8. I've never used a MAC before but I'm really interested in checking it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I'll be trying to do:

- Create a new partition in Windows 8 to install MAC OS X on (not sure about the format though)
    - Purchase MAC OS X from Amazon (is this the right one?)
    - Use Windows 8's boot loader to choose between the installations (it worked fine with Ubuntu dual-booting)
    - Explore the Mac OS X realm

Is my hardware compatible? Here's a copy of my CPU-Z hardware list

List Summary:
    CPU: Intel i7 920
    RAM: 24GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics: XFX 6850 1GB DDR5
    HDD: WD 1TB

What tips would you offer to a new Mac user?

Please don't turn this thread into a Win/Mac fight. They're both good. Otherwise, they wouldn't exist.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    No, installing OSX on standard PC hardware is not as straightforward as you might think. Although the hardware you have listed would be compatible with OSX, the most important thing is the motherboard. Can I suggest you take a look at these Hackintosh links in the first instance and then see if it's something you would like to tackle:

OSx86
    tonymacx86 - Home
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    No, installing OSX on standard PC hardware is not as straightforward as you might think. Although the hardware you have listed would be compatible with OSX, the most important thing is the motherboard. Can I suggest you take a look at these Hackintosh links in the first instance and then see if it's something you would like to tackle:

OSx86
    tonymacx86 - Home
    And I thought dual-booting with linux was a challenge, lol. But I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, so let's do this.

I've read that I can't install MAC OS X on the same HDD Windows is installed on. Is that correct?

My motherboard is an ASUS LGA 1366 Intel X58 Rampage III Formula.. I couldn't find it in the supported hardware list.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    OK, I'm afraid I'm not sure about having a Hackintosh system and Windows on the same hard drive, but to be honest, I never dual boot using partitions....if you have a hard drive failure, thats two operating systems down the tubes!!

If your motherboard is not listed as being compatible then you may be out of luck, it may work, but chances are it won't.

You don't just install OSX direct from a retail DVD when building a Hackintosh. The OS must be modified with a bootloader that will allow OSX to be installed, and it will also have a modified kernel. The easiest method for installing OSX on a Hackintosh is using the method described on the TonyMacx86 site, but to do so you need to have access to a proper Mac so you can get the OS onto a USB stick.

The process is too long winded for me to walk you through it step by step...there are plenty of guides floating around already.
    oddball likes this.

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6

Member #
    I wish I had access to a Mac. Everyone I know has an iPhone and/or an iPad but no Macs. I watched two videos on youtube and they were using tonymac's method... now I get why it's called hackintosh :)

I guess I'll have to try this some other time but I might just buy a used Mac on eBay and get it over with.

Thanks for your help JezzerP.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I wish I had access to a Mac. Everyone I know has an iPhone and/or an iPad but no Macs. I watched two videos on youtube and they were using tonymac's method... now I get why it's called hackintosh :)

I guess I'll have to try this some other time but I might just buy a used Mac on eBay and get it over with.

Thanks for your help JezzerP.
    No problem mate...it's not for the faint hearted, and buying 2nd hand may be the easiest option in the first instance.

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6

Remove Ads

Ads