New Here Question

This is a discussion on New Here Question within the Apple Hardware forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hey all, I'm new to this forum, but have used a MacBook since 2013. I currently use a Mid 2010 polycarbonate unibody MacBook as my ...

Member #

Question New Here Question

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, but have used a MacBook since 2013. I currently use a Mid 2010 polycarbonate unibody MacBook as my daily driver. I'm part of the Apple Beta Testers, and as such I get beta software updates. Now comes the issue I am having. During an update two or three updates back, my mother in law unknowingly turned the switch off that my computer is plugged into and the battery went dead while the computer was updating. Ever since then, whenever I boot the computer, I have to hold down Option to select the Macintosh partition, or I get the "NO" symbol and have to reboot. Even if I choose the hard drive as the boot drive in system preferences. My MacBook is running macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6, has 6GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD with a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition, and obviously the macOS partition. I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot to figure out why I have to hold down option each time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mods move this post where it needs to be if needed.

Thank you.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Hi Cory....welcome to the forum, and apologies for not getting to you sooner. OK, Bootcamp issues can be very hard to troubleshoot, but in the first instance i would try resetting the SMC and PRAM/NVRAM on your Mac. These are chips on your motherboard that hold various bit of information on how the hardware works. There are numerous guides on how to reset these, but take a look here:

https://www.macworld.com/article/288...m-and-smc.html
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads