Macbook pro and Time Machine

This is a discussion on Macbook pro and Time Machine within the Apple Hardware forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I'm trying to set up an external Lacie HD for a wireless backup to my Macbook Pro via my Netgear R6300 router. The router recognizes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Macbook pro and Time Machine

I'm trying to set up an external Lacie HD for a wireless backup to my Macbook Pro via my Netgear R6300 router. The router recognizes the Lacie drive, but the Macbook does not see it. The router is wired to my PC and I also have an Imac set up wirelessly to the router. The Macbook is also set up wirelessly to the router. I can't understand why the Macbook won't see the Lacie. I am using Time Machine to do the backup.

The Imac and the Retina Macbook Pro both have OS X Mountain Lion.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    So you can't even see the Lacie in Finder on your MBP? Can the iMac see the drive in Finder?
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - Mavericks (10.9.5)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks (10.9.5)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.0.2
    iPad Air - iOS 8.0.2

Member #
    I partioned the Lacie in 2 sections, one labeled LacieImac and one labeled LacieMacbook. The Imac sees the LacieImac partition as an option in Time Machine, but neither sees either partition in finder. The Lacie partitions show in the Netgear application. There are loads of setting listed under the Netgear app, but they are Greek to me.

Is there a better way for me to set up wireless backup, even if it means spending some money to buy additional hardware ? This is getting frurstrating. I have a spare router if that helps. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Well the 'ultimate' solution would be to buy one of the Apple Time Capsules which will be guaranteed to work as a router/back-up solution. These devices however, need a separate cable/adsl modem, so you are looking at a fair chunk of change.

Lacie make a range of storage solutions designed to work well with Macs, so my guess that your problem is with your router not being fully compatible. I have just found this quote on another forum:

"Apple Time Machine is not supported on R6300 currently but I heard that it will be added later."

So, there may be a firmware upgrade available for your router that will allow Time Machine to work consistently

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.0.2
    iPad Air - iOS 8.0.2

Member #
    But the Imac is seeing the Lacie partition on the router. If it can see it via Time Machine then why can't the Macbook ? That has me baffled. But the Imac is hard wired into the Lacie so that is why it sees the drive. It probably is not seeing it on the router.
    Last edited by stanpz; 10-08-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Sorry but I'm getting confused about your set up now. Have I got this right?
    • You have an iMac connected to your Netgear router via an ethernet cable.
    • The Lacie external drive is connected to the Netgear router via a USB cable.
    • Your MacBook Pro connects to your router via a wireless connection.
    • The iMac can 'see' the Lacie drive as an external drive in Finder.
    • The iMac can 'see' the Lacie drive as a suitable source for backup in Time Machine.
    • The MacBook Pro cannot 'see' the drive at all, either in Finder or as a Time Machine backup location.
    If this is correct, then I would suggest the issue is still with the router and how it interacts with wireless clients with respects to an external hard drive connected to it via USB.

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.0.2
    iPad Air - iOS 8.0.2

Member #
    Not exactly.

My PC is connected to the router with ethernet

Imac is wireless, not ethernet. It is plugged into the Lacie via Firewire for backups. It sees the Lacie partition in Time Machine, but it does not see it in finder. It did prior to connecting the Lacie via USB to the router.

Lacie is connected USB to router, yes. ( and also to Imac with Firewire )

Macbook is wireless and does not see Lacie drive in finder or via Time Machine

It is confusing. I applaud youfor staying with me this long. I would accept the notion that Time Machine can't see a non Apple HD, but the Imac is seeing the Lacie, but I imagine it is not seeing it wirelessly. I can prove that by disconnecting the firewire cable. Let me try that. Yes. Time Machine says it will do the backup the next time a drive is connected, so it is not seeing the Lacie via USB. Time Machine is not able to see any HD on the router. So we don't know if that is a router issue or an Apple Time Machine issue.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stanpz View Post
    Lacie is connected USB to router, yes. ( and also to Imac with Firewire )
    OK the, this is the major stumbling block I think. You can't attach the Lacie to the iMac via Firewire AND the router via USB at the same time...this will just confuse the system, and is possibly why you are not seeing it in Finder

Given that there are question marks over whether your router is compatible with Time Machine, what I would do is this :
    • Attach the Lacie to your iMac via Firewire only....don't attach it to the router.
    • On your iMac, open System Preferences > Sharing, and make sure File Sharing is enabled.
    • Make sure you can see the Lacie on your iMac in Finder.
    • On your MacBook Pro make sure you can browse to the Lacie Drive within Finder....you may have to Connect to your iMac giving your username and password.
    • Open Time Machine on your iMac and point it to one of the Lacie partitions.
    • Open Time Machine on your MacBook Pro and point it to the other Lacie partition.
    If the Lacie still isn't showing up on your iMac in Finder then we have another, more fundamental problem that will need sorting first.

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.0.2
    iPad Air - iOS 8.0.2

Member #
    The first 3 steps check out. Then you ask me to connect the Macbook to the Imac ? how, with what ?

Member #
    I connected the Lacie via USB to the Macbook and it did not see it. Once I disconnected the Firewire to the Imac the Macbook saw the Lacie. I guess you can only use on connection method at a time. Which may explain why we can't connect the router via USB and keep the firewire connection. Originally I thought I could connect via the Imac to the Lacie wirelessly. That was muy original plan.

After disconnecting the Imac to the Lacie it still shows up as a viable backup disk in Time Machine, but not in Finder. I imagine when it starts to do a backup it will realize the issue.

Since I had the Macbook connected to the Lacie I decided to do a backup to the partition I had selected. This will work until I figure out which end is up.
    Last edited by stanpz; 10-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Ads