Airport Extreme or Airport Time Capsule

This is a discussion on Airport Extreme or Airport Time Capsule within the Apple Hardware forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I just purchased a new 13-inch MacBook Air. I'm upgrading from the PowerMac G4 tower. Yes, I keep my stuff until it dies... so keep ...

Member #

Airport Extreme or Airport Time Capsule

I just purchased a new 13-inch MacBook Air. I'm upgrading from the PowerMac G4 tower. Yes, I keep my stuff until it dies... so keep that in mind as you read and answer my question below. Thank you in advance for the advice.

I am looking to both take advantage of the 802.11AC as well as automatic backups of my new MacBook Air. I initially thought to purchase the time capsule and have the router and storage in one device. Let's assume the HD goes bad on the time capsule. Does it lose any other functionality besides storage? Is my router affected? I'm wondering if it would be safer to purchase the AirPort Extreme and an external drive and plug it into the USB port of the airport extreme instead of having the built-in storage of the time capsule.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads