Mac Pro losing video?

This is a discussion on Mac Pro losing video? within the Apple Hardware forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I have a MacPro (late 2008) 2 quad core cpu's, 10 gigs ram. When I turn it on, it will booth up normally and work ...

Member #

Mac Pro losing video?

I have a MacPro (late 2008) 2 quad core cpu's, 10 gigs ram. When I turn it on, it will booth up normally and work find for about 15 minutes. Then I lose the video signal. The monitor says no video signal; but the Mac is still running. Of course I have no way of knowing if the machine is locked up or not. Does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Maybe the monitor could be a problem... Can you try it using another comp.??

Maybe a plug?

My Mac Pro is also a '08 and I had that happen as a similar problem.. I had to take the graphics card out and put it back in making sure it was in fully in all the way.....That worked for me...
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #

Found the problem

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyscott21 View Post
    Maybe the monitor could be a problem... Can you try it using another comp.??

Maybe a plug?

My Mac Pro is also a '08 and I had that happen as a similar problem.. I had to take the graphics card out and put it back in making sure it was in fully in all the way.....That worked for me...
    The video card fan is not turning. So I suppose the video card heats up and turns off. Does any one have a suggestion for an inexpensive replacement? Or does anyone know where I can get a fan for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.

thanks

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Humm.. Interesting....

Also, they really don't recommend a cooling fan for those cards I don't think anyways.....

Here is good reading material for this such thing here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/al...an+replacement

From what I know here is a small list of fans that should work, at least they would for mine..

Zalman VF900
    Thermalright HR-03 (very expensive)
    Arctic Cooling S1 or S2

It's pretty straight forward and all the above models should come with thermal interface material.
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Remove Ads

Ads