Apple TV might launch in 2012, analyst says

This is a discussion on Apple TV might launch in 2012, analyst says within the Apple News forums, part of the Apple News Room category; Rumors of the Apple television set are again at the forefront of most IT blogs and papers and most believe it will happen as soon ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Apple TV might launch in 2012, analyst says

Rumors of the Apple television set are again at the forefront of most IT blogs and papers and most believe it will happen as soon as late 2012. The information seems to be closer to “news” rather than “rumor” as an Asian component supplier has already claimed that Apple was building their prototype models in their factories. Analyst Gene Munster has been saying that Apple was preparing their grand entrance as far as early 2009. Now, with the iCloud and Siri voice control launch, the analyst believes Apple is more prepared than ever to launch an HDTV in the coming years. iCloud could provide users with access to TV shows, pictures and even movies, if rumors of negociations between Apple and Hollywood studios turns out to be true. Siri could simplify the chore of inputting information like show titles or actor names and maybe even cut the remote control from the equation.

The company is also said to have invested in screen sizes up to 50 inches for the potential television set, as Munster said after he met with sources in Asia in January 2011. Rumors of Apple HDTV have picked up steam again after it was revealed that Steve Jobs told his biographer that he had “cracked” the secret to building an integrated, easy-to-use television set, mentioning that it “will have the simplest user interface you could imagine”.

Source: AppleInsider

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm saving up now...!

iPhone 4 iOS 5 beta 7 Unlocked

iPhone 3GS 4.3.5 Unlocked

iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    I have seen and heard rumors about this for quite some time now...

I am wondering if it will come to fruition???
    I certainly hope it will.
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.10 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 7.1-- Apple Tv 3rd Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I would just be happy to have BBC iPlayer on my current Apple TV 2 set top box :)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - Yosemite (10.10.0)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks (10.9.5)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.1.0
    iPad Air - iOS 8.1.0

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyscott21 View Post
    I have seen and heard rumors about this for quite some time now...

I am wondering if it will come to fruition???
    I certainly hope it will.
    I'd put money on it. I was reading a news story on iphone forums about a 3D user interface patent that apple has filed. I wonder if this is what jobs was talking about when he said he had "cracked" it...?

iPhone 4 iOS 5 beta 7 Unlocked

iPhone 3GS 4.3.5 Unlocked

iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Apple Television Expected by mid-2012, TV Makers Already ‘Scrambling’

Production of Apple’s rumored connected television is set to begin in February at Sharp’s plant in Japan, reports AppleInsider. Rival HDTV makers are therefore desperate to find out what the new TV will actually do, with Android as potential operating system for rival devices.

Apple is expected to partner with Sharp for TFT-LCD panels. The TV could also feature hands free control using Siri. The mid-2012 release date is a more aggressive prediction than others have given for the release, with the New York Times claiming that it could be launched in late 2012 and released at the start of 2013.

I’m looking forward to whatever Apple has in store, and if the TV features full internet access and apps, then it could spell the end for traditional computers (or at least traditional television). The TV would become the digital hub, with iPads and iPhones being the satellite devices.

11-23-11

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

Apple ‘iTV’ Set for Summer 2012 Launch?

Production for Apple’s rumored television is set to begin in January, reports The Tokyo Times, and will be launched around summer 2012. According to the report, Sharp, who has been commissioned to manufacture the displays for Apple’s “iTV,” will ramp up production in January.

The report continues to suggest that the device should launch in summer 2012, and echoes Jefferies analyst Peter Misek’s comments that competitors are already “scrambling” to find out what Apple’s device can do, so they can more effectively work on competing products.

The Tokyo Times doesn’t have an established track record when it comes to Apple, so it’d be advisable to take this with a grain of salt until more information becomes available.

11-28-11

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

A6-Based Apple Television to Come in Three Sizes Ranging from 32 to 55 Inches?

Smarthouse claims to have received word that Apple will be offering its rumored television set in three different sizes ranging from 32 to 55 inches, with the device being powered by the same "new processor" (presumably the A6) set to appear in the iPad 3.

Sources at a major Japanese company who are involved in manufacturing the TV believe that the 55" model will compete with new Smart TVs from Samsung and LG that will have new processors built in while offering a combination of OLED display, as well as new Super HD TV technology from LG.

Smarthouse has historically been rather unreliable with its Apple rumors, but the claim of three different sizes does match up with previous rumors. Smarthouse had claimed earlier this year that Apple was looking at OLED technology for its 55-inch television, but that claim was later refuted by other sources.

Last week, Piper Jaffray analyst and long-time Apple television set proponent Gene Munster offered his speculation on what Apple's plans might be, also suggesting that the company would be likely to introduce a range of sizes in order to appeal to customers with a broad range of sizes for their television needs.

The latest Smarthouse report doesn't specifically name the A6 system-on-a-chip as the planned brains for the Apple television set, but the claim of it being a "new processor" certainly seems to imply the A6. There has been some uncertainty about the A6 and the iPad 3, with reports indicating that the new iPad will launch in "early 2012" in line with previous years while confusion over whether TSMC or Samsung will produce the A6 has included claims that the chip will not be ready until June 2012

12-5-11

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

2012 Next-Generation iMac to Potentially Offer Television Functionality?

Forbes reports on a new research note from Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair suggesting that Apple may bring some aspects of its rumored television set to the iMac with a revision in the first half of next year.
    Blair envisions the company pushing the largest screen sizes of the iMac toward the TV market by integrating Apple TV and iCloud features into a slimmer all-in-one PC with TV capabilities.

“We think this makes sense because while we typically think about the newest TV’s hanging on the wall in large form factors, Apple could effectively start with what they already have on the manufacturing line and slowly push their offering from 27 inches and scale up from there to 32 inches and then move on to the 42, 50 and 55 inch market,” he writes. “In short, we believe the initial Apple TV is their iMac computer that can function as a TV, over the iCloud platform.”
    While the full context of the claim is not included in the Forbes report, the claim is referred to as "speculation" on Blair's part and no specific evidence to support it is offered.

Apple had previous offered its "Front Row" software for OS X, providing users with a full-screen media display to allow easy access to content while interacting with their Mac via the remote control previously included with most Macs. Front Row debuted on the iMac in 2005 and made its way throughout Apple's Mac lines, but was gradually phased out until it was completely removed in OS X Lion.

Apple is said to be developing a television set product featuring Siri-powered voice input, with a release rumored for late 2012 or 2013. An iMac offering some of that television functionality could bridge the gap to the dedicated television set, with the 21.5-inch and 27-inch screens on the iMac suitable for smaller-scale television settings.

12-7-11

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times

iMac TV Coming Soon?

I have to admit that I’m not much of a TV fan. I’d rather read a good book or tinker with my iPad instead of watching the ubiquitous boob tube with a big bowl of popcorn on my lap. Then again the world is full of people unlike me (not a bad thing, really) who may want to watch their daily dose of everything the TV World has to offer.

It has been Apple’s (read: Steve Jobs’) dream of designing a product that would make the TV more interesting and simpler to use. The recently published and now Amazon’s best-selling book, the biography of Steve Jobs (buy at Amazon or iTunes), mentioned that Mr. Jobs has “apparently cracked the TV” and that Mr. Jobs wanted to “create an integrated television set…that would be seamlessly synced with all of your devices and with iCloud,” has lead analyst Brian Blair to speculate;

“We think this makes sense because while we typically think about the newest TV’s hanging on the wall in large form factors, Apple could effectively start with what they already have on the manufacturing line and slowly push their offering from 27 inches and scale up from there to 32 inches and then move on to the 42, 50 and 55 inch market,” he writes. “In short, we believe the initial Apple TV is their iMac computer that can function as a TV, over the iCloud platform.”

Now this is not a bad thing either. In fact, I think it’s a very good thing – especially for people like me who want to make life easier and simpler by using appliances that integrate the functionalities of several gadgets into an all-in-one device. So, what could be more logical than to merge the functionalities of a Mac with that of the omnipresent TV, which is exactly what Mr. Blair mentioned in his research note?

It’s very easy to imagine a large-screened iMac sitting where your TV used to sit and after doing some serious work with it, or having just won in an online game with your friends, you find yourself wanting to watch some TV. You can easily do that with the supposed new iMacs with TV functionalities built into them.

This would bridge the gap between the computer and the TV as we eagerly await Apple’s much-rumored and full-blown Apple TV when it comes out “sooner than you think”.

12-27-11

Source

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads