Steve Jobs Wanted To Build A Complete Apple TV Without Remotes, DVD Players

This is a discussion on Steve Jobs Wanted To Build A Complete Apple TV Without Remotes, DVD Players within the Apple News forums, part of the Apple News Room category; The biggest advocate to the theory that Apple is trying to penetrate into the TV industry, Piper Jaffray seems to have got his prayers answered, ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Steve Jobs Wanted To Build A Complete Apple TV Without Remotes, DVD Players

The biggest advocate to the theory that Apple is trying to penetrate into the TV industry, Piper Jaffray seems to have got his prayers answered, judging from the 60 minutes interview, available on CBS, featuring Walter Isaacson. The official biographer said that Steve Jobs had “finally cracked” the television solution. “He very much wanted to do for television sets what he had done for computers, music players, and phones: make them simple and elegant,” Isaacson said. ‘…I’d like to create an integrated television set that is completely easy to use’, he told me. ‘It would be seamlessly synced with all of your devices and with iCloud’. No longer would users have to fiddle with complex remotes for DVD players and cable channels. ‘It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine. I finally cracked it’.”

Gene Munster has his own info to disclose, as he suggests that such a TV could use the new Siri in iOS 5 to simply the chore of inputting information like shows title into the TV. This makes sense. In fact, Siri makes even more sense for an Internet-connected TV than it does for a phone. Assuming that the voice recognition facility will be good enough, a Siri-powered Apple TV would be so much easier to use than the average button remote control. Just imaging asking your TV to “find the latest episode of House”, or “show the photos of my vacation in Germany” or play “the weekend playlist”, it would mean all the difference. It’s not that out of the question, that a voice-activated Apple TV could execute some of the commands Siri allows on iPhone 4s – finding information or checking if tomorrow is going to be rainy or not.

What’s amazing about this is that Siri, will have to be more than a talker and also capable of comprehending the meaning of the words. As the smart TVs become the new gladiator arena for the internet-connected devices, it’s crucial that our remote controls get smarter too.

Source: maindevice

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads