Apple Looking Into Using MagSafe Ports and Wireless Charging for iOS Devices

This is a discussion on Apple Looking Into Using MagSafe Ports and Wireless Charging for iOS Devices within the Apple News forums, part of the Apple News Room category; Boy Genius Report has a story today about a patent application filed by Apple and found by Patently Apple, which shows that Apple is looking ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Apple Looking Into Using MagSafe Ports and Wireless Charging for iOS Devices

Boy Genius Report has a story today about a patent application filed by Apple and found by Patently Apple, which shows that Apple is looking into the potential of using magnetic MagSafe connectors with iOS devices. Apple already uses MagSafe connectors on MacBooks, and the patent indicates that it is thinking about expanding the use of MagSafe connectors to other devices. MagSafe connectors basically do away with the traditional ďmaleĒ and ďfemaleĒ cable and port connectors, and aside from looking neater, also eliminate the danger of pulling a device off a desk when you snag a cable; if you snag a MagSafe cable, then you will only pull the cable off the desk, not the device it's attached to. BGR explains that the patent puts forward the idea that the magnets in this new type of connector would be coded with information that would be transmitted when the magnets were put together, with the benefit being that different accessories would be able to use a single connector port across the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or MacBook range.

The patent also talks about a stylus for the iPad, which would also contain coded magnets either at the stylusís tip, or close to the tip. The stylus could then be put in a dock connected to an iPad or other device, and used to exchange data. Also included in the patent is the concept of the magnets in the stylus being an added security feature, with unique coding for each stylus that would mean that it would only work with a paired iPad or other device.

Source: Future iPhone and iPad may feature MagSafe ports, wireless charging

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Replug Is A Magnet-Free MagSafe For Headphones

Snap! The Replug will break off in emergencies, leaving your cables safe.

Replug is a gadget that could Ė if it had existed a few years ago Ė would have saved me a fortune; literally hundreds of dollars. It is a simple and excellent idea: a magsafe connector for your headphones, only without the magnets.

Starting at just $13, and running up to a bare $20 for a six-foot be-cabled version, the Replug is a basic male-to-female inline adapter which sits between your headphones and the socket on your iPod/iPhone/iPad (or other non-Apple device should you be slumming it). Plug it in and go about your daily life as if nothing had changed: get the bullet-holes filled in the floor of your carís trunk; take your jacket to the dry cleaner to get that blood stain removed; check that the construction company filled those foundations on schedule Ė the usual.

Then, when disaster strikes, and your headphone cable gets tangled on some immovable object as you walk, donít worry: the elastomer casing of the Replug will detach from the metal jack itself, just like the power cable pops out of your MacBook. Once you have gathered your wits, you just push it back in again.

Itís neat, and I am going to order one as soon as I get home. I like that it doesnít use magnets, as these would likely come unsnapped far too often. I also like that thereís a longer version, either an extension or a jack-to-jack model which could replace the removable cables on some sets of high-end cans. Neat stuff, and available now.

7-27-12

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Itís A Wrap: Cable Organizer Wrangles Tangles

The Wrap Wrangles Tangles.

Iím totally against the wrapping of wires, ever since being shouted at on a movie location for over-enthusiastically coiling audio and power cables around my thumb and elbow. Apparently thatís not how itís done by the pros, and the experience has made me wince every time I see somebody stretching their headphone cables around their iPod.

Still, Iím clearly in the (superior) minority, and the The Wrap proves it. Itís a plastic 3-D printed widget which wrangles your cable into order.

Designed by Michiel Cornelissen and printed to order by Shapeways, The Wrap clips onto your iPhoneís charger plug and lets the USB cable pass through. There it stays until you need to move, and then you can carefully coil the cable and cram it into the clips, where it will remain tangle free.

The Wrap will cost you just $10, and as it works with Appleís dock cable, of which you doubtlessly have hundreds littering your home, then you neednít worry if it breaks anything.

7-27-12

Source

Remove Ads

Ads