AppleForums.net review of BookBook iPhone case

This is a discussion on AppleForums.net review of BookBook iPhone case within the Apple Product Reviews forums, part of the Apple News Room category; I had very high hopes for the BookBook iPhone case from Twelve South and ordered it immediately after reading about it. I'll admit, one of ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

AppleForums.net review of BookBook iPhone case

I had very high hopes for the BookBook iPhone case from Twelve South and ordered it immediately after reading about it. I'll admit, one of the main reasons I wanted to try it was because it looks great. In fact, the look of the case had the side-effect of convincing me that perhaps it could save me from a mugging because the "would-be-muggers" might just think I was carrying a small book or bible. At least, that's what I told myself as another reason to justify purchasing the case...

Another reason I wanted to try it was that it markets itself as a wallet and iPhone case in one. That means one less pocket I would have to dedicate to carrying something, which should be handy, right? It also seemed to be a pretty cool way to hold the iPhone, especially when playing games... gives me a larger grip with softer material... how can that be a bad thing?

Sadly, none of it worked out as I'd hoped.

When the product arrived I was pleasantly surprised that the build quality and the looks were spot on from the pictures on the website. I'll give them an A+ for not misrepresenting the looks of the product.

I was excited, so I immediately popped my iPhone out of my existing case and put it into the BookBook. The fit and finish were decent but not perfect. I found it very hard to get a finger-nail under the Vibrate/Mute/Speaker toggle, which was a let-down. I shrugged it off and thought, "Oh well, that's a small issue", so I proceeded to switch my life over to this BookBook.

Then came the next problem... Although I don't have a "Costanza" sized wallet, it's a pretty decent size. I like to carry several credit cards with me at all times... just in case one of them doesn't work. Also, I usually carry some backup cash... just in case the credit card machines are down and my ATM card doesn't work either. It never hurts to be prepared. Sadly, the BookBook isn't great for this. There is no actual fold for cash. It just has a pocket. Between my insurance cards, cash and other miscellaneous stuff I usually throw into the bi-fold of my wallet --they just didn't fit too well into the single back pocket of the BookBook.

"I'll slim down what I carry", I told myself... "it'll be worth it not to have to carry a wallet!"

So, despite the setback, I went about feeding the BookBook with my bare, slimmed down wallet essentials. A few credit cards, some cash, a couple slips of paper and a drivers license. With only these things, the BookBook no longer closed properly. It always hung slightly open... as if the internals were always peeking out trying to escape.

"I can live with that, perhaps smashing it into my pocket for weeks at a time will work the leather into a more sealed state", I told myself.

I loaded up my BookBook and had it prepped about as prepped as it was going to get, then started using it for a couple of days. Like the Dos Equis guy, I may not get many phone calls but when I do, I prefer to actually have a conversation... Unfortunately, things didn't work out very well. After being on the call for all of 5 seconds, not only did I accidentally mute it and speakerphone it, but I inadvertently attempted to start a Facetime conversation with the caller as well. This was all with my cheek! Apparently, the BookBook cover for the iPhone wreaks havoc on your proximity sensor. This happened to me multiple times.... arg!

The final "straw that broke the camels back" with the BookBook cover turned out to be the extra grip I thought might be kind of cool to have. It wasn't cool at all. While holding it vertical, in order to get a decent feel of the phone and use both thumbs on the screen, you have to do an awkward bend of the left side flap behind the phone. When it's loaded up, you can't really do this. So now your left hand is always at this awkward position on the phone. It's better when you are in Landscape mode but still not great.

Essentially, other then the great looks, this case is a dud. It's a complete fail in my opinion and with the steep price, I learned a valuable lesson... "Don't always judge a BookBook by it's cover."

Pro's:
    • Great looks
    • Quality finish
    • "Novel" idea
    Con's:
    • Expensive price
    • Makes phone harder to use
    • Very poor wallet
    Overall rating - 3 of 10

2. Ads

Member #
    Thanks for the thorough review. You just saved me 60 bucks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdmsu View Post
    Thanks for the thorough review. You just saved me 60 bucks!
    Me too I was going to order one myself.
    iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.1
    New iPad (3) iOS 8.1.1
    iMac using Yosemite.
    MacBook Pro 9.2 running Yosemite.
    Apple TV 2nd Generation

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I would have almost definitely bought this, but thanks for giving me the heads up about it! Great review as well.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    That thing is certainly unique, but bizarre. Too expensive, too, unless that leather is super-premium.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I could see something like this for an iPod but for a Phone?

That seems difficult to hold and talk and also no camera cut out.

Looks very very nice though, wish I had an iPhone 4. :(
    Last edited by zacharydansby; 08-12-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Text Added
    Jailbroken iPod Touch 4G 32GB 4.3.3 Untethered Using RedSn0w

Member #

Also disappointed

I also returned mine. It was very awkward to use. Also didnt like having to take the iphone out to use the camera. Maybe over time they'll fix the design flaws. I really loved the feel of it though. On another note, i also tried the ipad case and was seriously disappointed there as well. Thanks for the review.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Thanks,i was considering it too,i dont mind paying that sort of money but it would have to be spot on,back to square one.

Remove Ads

Ads