Looking for my First Mac Computer

This is a discussion on Looking for my First Mac Computer within the Apple Purchasing forums, part of the Apple Forums category; So I've been a loyal Windows guy for a long time, but my gaming desktop's hard drive just went corrupt with a BSOD that no ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Darebear
  • 2 Post By ardchoille

Thread: Looking for my First Mac Computer

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Looking for my First Mac Computer

So I've been a loyal Windows guy for a long time, but my gaming desktop's hard drive just went corrupt with a BSOD that no one under the sun can seem to fix... I'd been looking to get a laptop soon for college soon, but I'm thinking of getting a Mac. It's just that I've never really looked into Mac computers, and I'm lost.
    I don't need anything fancy. It needs to get me through college - reliability is pretty big. I know I'm not going to get the same gaming capabilities as my last desktop, but respectable gaming abilities would be nice. I'd like to still be able to play Minecraft with my girlfriend, and any other extra capabilities would be awesome. I honestly don't need a very big screen at all. Other than that, I just need basics - I'm gonna be using mostly office programs and the internet on it, as far as I can think of now. Buuuuut of course, preparing for the unexpected isn't awful... Within my budget.

I don't know exactly how much my budget is, but I'm not made of money. I know Macs are more expensive than PCs, and I'm ready for that. Definitely wouldn't like to spend $1000 or upwards unless it's some amazing deal. Sooooo, I'd like some Mac experts to point me in the right direction. What kind of computer should I get? Where's a good place to get it? Thanks!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I'm not a Mac expert, but I have been building computers since the mid 90's and writing my own software since 2002. I went from Windows to Linux (in 2001) to Mac, having purchased my first Mac on the 3rd of this month.

The Mac mini (Intel Core i5 model) blew my mind! It's easy to use, quite powerful, and was an easy transition for someone new to OS X. Being that the MacBooks use OS X, the experience would have been identical. Apple products hold their value much longer than the competition.

I just noticed that Minecraft is available for Mac :)

I definitely recommend a Mac and will be purchasing a Macbook Pro in the near future.
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the input. So where would you recommend to go to buy one? Should I just go to the nearest Apple Store (about an hour away for me, unfortunately) or should I try Amazon, Newegg, or what?
    ardchoille likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Darebear View Post
    Thanks for the input. So where would you recommend to go to buy one? Should I just go to the nearest Apple Store (about an hour away for me, unfortunately) or should I try Amazon, Newegg, or what?
    I would, of course, recommend going to your local Apple store because they can provide first-hand advice and support. Apple stores also hold regular workshops to help you get the most from your Apple products. Perhaps you could turn a long drive into a fun road trip? Who doesn't love a fun road trip? :)

If the thought of travel time is too much for you, you can always order from a third-party retailer. However, I highly recommend buying a new product versus a used product because you never know how the used product was treated - i.e. the used product may have a battery that's on its last legs, or a physical hard drive may have bad sectors, or a display may have dead pixels. This is why I opted to save for a while to buy a new Mac rather than settle for a used model.

A Mac is something that is going to be with you for a while, so I see it as an investment and am willing to wait, or save up, or bear the travel time in order to get the best for myself.

I hope that helps.
    Poisonivy and scifan57 like this.
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Welcome to the Forum Darebear.

Tell us your bottom line requirements and we can point you to a specific model. Is it a notebook, desktop etc.
    I have a Macbook Pro, Mac Air and soon will have an iMac.

Member #

A preowned Mac on eBay or craigslist should be fine. I've seen some sweet deals such as Quad-Core 2011/2012 MacBook Pros sell for around $800 in nice shape.
    Last edited by MacMoola; 07-09-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads