New to MacBooks - which spec do I need?

This is a discussion on New to MacBooks - which spec do I need? within the Apple Purchasing forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hi all Many thanks in advance for any help. My current Asus laptop has died on me after 2 years (typically all my laptops last ...

Member #

New to MacBooks - which spec do I need?

Hi all

Many thanks in advance for any help.

My current Asus laptop has died on me after 2 years (typically all my laptops last me 2 years). I have always had Windows laptops in the past.

I have an iphone and an ipad which is why I'm now looking to Apple for my next laptop. However, I'm finding trying to decide which spec I need a nightmare.

I'm looking at the new MacBook Pro retina model which has just come out.

Requirements as follows:

- On the whole, I have my laptop on all evening every evening and all day weekends.
    - I usually have at least 4-5 browser tabs open at a time (eg always have facebook and twitter open in the background, then may be actively looking at at least another 2 pages at once). I also usually keep my mailbox open.
    - I take a lot of large photos (18 megapixels a time) and use photo-editing software photoshop and lightroom (open the same time as all my browser windows)
    - I donít do any video editing or serious gaming. I donít do any programming or web development or anything. My main usage is internet browsing and photography.
    - I have a lot of music but currently signed up to itunes match which keeps it in the cloud.
    - My current laptop screen is 15 inches. I have an ipad for on-the-move, I donít really take my laptop out and about (possibly just because itís too bulky). I feel like it could be a bit of a shock going down to 13 inches and possibly not the best for the photography. However the 15 inch models are ridiculously expensive.
    Itís my understanding the newest OS will require quite a lot of memory.

Any help gratefully received. Iíd be looking at the new mackbook pro retina models which came out last week. Customising them is possible, but Iím leaning towards buying from John Lewis and getting 5 year warranty which would mean Iíd have to stick to the pre-configured models.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    The latest rMBP would be more than capable of doing what you want in terms of browsing and photo editing. It will also handle the upcoming Yosemite OSX upgrade.

However, the latest models have moved towards SSD storage, which may not be ideal in terms of storing large numbers of large photos. However, you say your laptop stays on the desk most of the time, so you could always buy an high capacity external drive for your photos. Going for an option with less storage, may also free up some cash to try and max out the RAM option, which is always a good idea....it is not possible to upgrade the RAM yourself on the latest rMBP.

As to the 13" screen, you will find it small after using 15" laptops. However, I would suggest you simply attach the laptop to an external screen when it is on your desk....problem solved!
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Good advice there from JezzerP, I can't better it but I can tell you I too had an Asus laptop, a high end model, I gave it to my son years ago when I bought my first Macbook Pro, I now have the 13" retina, I haven't looked back.
    When you decide let us know how it's going.
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

Member #
    Thanks so much for your advice. I have been to the apple store today. I like the compactness and light weight of the 13 inch. I guess my only concerns are the memory and the screen estate where the 15 inch will allow me to see much more of the photo. Decisions decisions!!! Good to know the 8gb should cover me well enough for Photoshop, Lightroom and heavy browsing though :)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Yes I got the 8gb as I got used to that, I had my first one upgraded but that's not possible with the retina model of course.You won't regret the move from Windows whatever model you decide on.
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

Remove Ads

Ads