Desktops vs Notebooks

This is a discussion on Desktops vs Notebooks within the Apple Purchasing forums, part of the Apple Forums category; I know Apple computers have very good resale value. I had trouble finding a good deal on a used Mac Mini long time ago. I ...

Member #

Desktops vs Notebooks

I know Apple computers have very good resale value. I had trouble finding a good deal on a used Mac Mini long time ago. I finally found a good deal on it for a 2008 version

Now I am planning to get a new Apple computer but I realized that they haven't updated any of their desktop computers for a very long time. It seems their focus is now on notebook computers. That cost even more.

Now my question is, should a get a new Mac Mini or should I get a MacBook Air? I want to save money but at the same time, I want it to hold a good resale value.

Thanks everyone!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    The Mac Mini was updated only last year, and I purchased mine a month or so ago. There was a lot of internet talk about the lack of quad-core processors in the new mini line-up, but as long as you are not doing CPU intesive work such as video editing etc, you are unlikely to notice a big problem, particularly if you go for the top of the rage model. I did jus that, maxed out the RAM to 16GB and took the 2TB Fusion Drive option. Not a cheap machine, but it really flies!! Unfortunately, Apple are taking the route of not allowing you to upgrade any parts of their machines these days....soldered-on RAM and impossible to swap SD Cards...resulting in you having to select upgrade options when you purchase direct with Apple....at a serious premium obviously! So, you pays your money and takes your choice. The MacBook Air is a lovely machine....several of my friends own them and love them. Pitching it against a Mini really depends on what is important to you as a user. Is it power or portability? As to resale value, any Apple product still holds its own in the second hand market, so I doubt you will have any problems there whatever you choose.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Member #
    Thanks! I decided to go for the Mac Mini.

Remove Ads

Ads