Buying a PowerBook G4 but which one and how much...?

This is a discussion on Buying a PowerBook G4 but which one and how much...? within the Apple Purchasing forums, part of the Apple Forums category; While saving for the MacBook air I'm getting impatient and want to buy an older mac laptop. I want it to be able to use ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Buying a PowerBook G4 but which one and how much...?

Super Moderator
    Member #

Buying a PowerBook G4 but which one and how much...?

While saving for the MacBook air I'm getting impatient and want to buy an older mac laptop. I want it to be able to use as a good spare for when I get the MacBook air (hopefully November). I've seen a lot on eBay but there is that many different types going for closeto the same price I don't know if I will be getting a good deal. The PowerBook G4 Titainium or Aluminium seems like a safe bet but I don't know anything about them.

Is there someone out there that can tell the the basics about the differences between them and how to tell them apart...?
    iPhone 4 iOS 5 beta 7 Unlocked
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.5 Unlocked
    iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can't tell you the bigger differences between the Titanium and Aluminum powerbooks, other than the Aluminum G4 powerbooks are newer models. The G4 Aluminum models were the last G4 powerbooks before they switched to Intel Processors.
    iGaz likes this.
    MacBook Air 11", 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD
    MacBook 2.0GHz C2D | 23" HD Dell Monitor
    32GB White iPad 2 Wifi | Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    32GB Black iPhone 4

Super Moderator
    Member #
    What about the iBook? Is that newer or older than the PowerBooks. They both seem to be going for around the same price...
    iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The iBooks were what the MacBooks were before MacBooks. And PowerBooks were what MacBook Pros used to be.
    iGaz likes this.
    MacBook Air 11", 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD
    MacBook 2.0GHz C2D | 23" HD Dell Monitor
    32GB White iPad 2 Wifi | Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    32GB Black iPhone 4

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    What's your price range? If possible I would try and stick with something that uses the Intel processor. I don't think the new versions of OSX will support the g4? I could be wrong though..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm looking at about 150 max as I don't want to spend too much with my plans to buy the MacBook air in a few months. Form what I see on eBay I could get most of the PowerBooks or iBooks that are up for sale for that price. The trouble is I have no idea which is better/newer. Nor have I had or know anyone with experience using either.

I'm not too fussed about getting loin on it, but I would like to keep it up to date as much as possible. It will likely end up only being plugged into my tv for watching movies ect. once the MacBook arrives...
    iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iGaz View Post
    I'm looking at about 150 max as I don't want to spend too much with my plans to buy the MacBook air in a few months. Form what I see on eBay I could get most of the PowerBooks or iBooks that are up for sale for that price. The trouble is I have no idea which is better/newer. Nor have I had or know anyone with experience using either.

I'm not too fussed about getting loin on it, but I would like to keep it up to date as much as possible. It will likely end up only being plugged into my tv for watching movies ect. once the MacBook arrives...
    None of them will run Lion but all will run Tiger (and maybe Snow Leopard although not certain about that). Check out HD capacity as well as like all computers back in the day they were incredibly small compared with today although you can run with an ext HD or buy one with an upgraded internal HD.
    The Archangel

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This link will help you identify different models http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3065

This page will help you to find specs and identify all models and flavours of OSX http://www.apple.com/support/mac/
    The Archangel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    60gb is plenty for me. Is speed I'm more concerned with. Is 2gb the max they can take? I had 2gb in my thankpad and it still ran fairly smoothly for a 6 year old laptop...
    iPod Touch 4G 4.3.5

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    2gb of RAM is plenty, that's what I have in my MacBook and it flies, even running Snow Leopard. I used it whilst DJ'ing so pretty intensive use and never had a problem with it......even VJ'ing with it was fine.
    The Archangel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads