Would you buy this macbook pro?

This is a discussion on Would you buy this macbook pro? within the Apple Purchasing forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hi there, I'm a first time poster and potentially a first time Mac owner. My current pc is on its last legs and I'm very ...

Member #

Would you buy this macbook pro?

Hi there, I'm a first time poster and potentially a first time Mac owner. My current pc is on its last legs and I'm very interested in changing to the apple OS. I've seen an advertisement for the following Macbook Pro. As a potential first time owner would you recommend me purchasing it for the price? I'd really appreciate your input. I travel a lot so the screen size will be useful to substitute for a TV screen, but I don't use a lot of memory heavy applications. How many years do you think I could get out of the macbook before I would need to upgrade? Longevity is quite important to me (hence why I'm really interested in Macs). Thanks.

Macbook Pro
    17" Early 2011 model
    Intel i7 Quad core processor (2.2Ghz)
    4GB Memory (although it seems I can upgrade this later to 8GB max)
    New 1TB SATA drive installed with only OS and basic apps installed
    Windows 7 (bootcamp)
    IOS Mavericks, Microsoft Office 2011, iLife already installed.

Price = $1400

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    On the face of it, it looks like a very good price for a 3 yr old 17" MacBook Pro, particularly seeing it has Mavericks, iLife and Office installed....not so sure about Windows 7, but you can't have everything ;-)

However, as always with purchasing second hand, unless you can actually go and see the machine working, you are taking the risk that all is as advertised, and that there are no lurking 'gremlins' waiting to jump out the second you switch it on.

Who is actually selling it? Is it a private individual, or a reputable second hand dealer?
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Thanks for the information. It's a private seller but I will be able to collect it in person and see it working. I read that the batteries are not replaceable in this model, so if it's likely to fail soon what should I look out for? Thanks again.

Member #
    In my opinion I would say that's a great deal.

You should go for it.

Remove Ads

Ads