Update For Apple TV 2nd And 3rd Gen And 4

This is a discussion on Update For Apple TV 2nd And 3rd Gen And 4 within the Apple TV forums, part of the Apple Hardware category; One of the best hacks to come to the Apple TV in the last year is PlexConnect, an amazing little program that hijacked the Trailers ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Update For Apple TV 2nd And 3rd Gen And 4

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

The Latest Apple TV Update Killed PlexConnect, Here’s How To Fix It

One of the best hacks to come to the Apple TV in the last year is PlexConnect, an amazing little program that hijacked the Trailers channel on your Apple TV and connected it to the Plex home media library running on your Mac. What the hack meant was that you could stream your Mac’s entire video or media library to your Apple TV just by navigating with the remote… no AirPlay required.

It was wonderful, but Apple doesn’t like hacks. That’s why PlexConnect is now dead. (Update: It’s back!)

Dead? Dead how?

Well, remember that Apple TV update that dropped yesterday, adding channels for Vevo, Disney, Disney XD, the Weather Channel and the Smithsonian? All of those great new channels didn’t come without a cost. Apple fixed the Trailers vulnerability that allowed PlexConnect to work at the same time.

Apparently, the reason PlexConnect worked was because, uniquely on the Apple TV, the Trailers channel piped all of its video over HTTP, not HTTPS. By just adding an ‘S’ to the end of that protocol, PlexConnect was seemingly broken for good.

Of course, if you don’t update your Apple TV, PlexConnect will still work just fine. I’m going to hold off for as long as possible, since a bunch of new channels I can’t actually access without a cable subscription isn’t enough to make me want to throw away the best thing to happen to my Apple TV since AirPlay. I’d suggest you do the same.

Update: There’s now a workaround. It’s a little fiddly, and requires you to connect your Apple TV to your computer to set-up, but once that has been accomplished, PlexConnect is restored to the Apple TV even on the latest firmware. You can find the guide here!

8-28-13

Source

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple TV 6.0 released with iTunes Radio, AirPlay from iCloud, iTunes Music Store,more

Everyone’s favorite hockey puck “hobby” has received a huge software update today. Apple TV 6.0, which has been in beta testing since June, brings with it iTunes Radio, AirPlay from iCloud, iCloud Photos and Videos (replacing Photo Stream), iTunes Music Store, and conference room mode.

AirPlay from iCloud, which mirrors Google’s Chromecast, is a feature that must be turned on from the Settings. Once enabled, it allows you to ”use your iOS device to play videos from iTunes in the Cloud”, which means the content is streamed directly to Apple TV rather than your iOS device. This reduces local bandwidth in half, however, some users may not want the feature since Apple TV handles iCloud video streaming differently than iOS devices. On iOS, your video will start streaming immediately, but the Apple TV takes in a huge buffer which can result in a long wait before the video can start. Also of note, AirPlay from iCloud is only compatible with iOS 7 devices.

The software was called “Apple TV 5.4″ while in beta, but it appears Apple has changed the name to Apple TV 6.0 in the public release (as seen in this iTunes Radio KB document).

The update comes just two days after the public release of iOS 7, which brings a refreshed design and several notable features like Control Center. The 1080p set top box is rumored to be undergoing a hardware refresh as soon as next month when the new iPads and MacBooks are set to be updated as well.

In addition, the Apple TV can now install software updates automatically.

VIDEO

9-20-13

9to5mac.com

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    As I suspected, iTunes radio is not available in Canada, just as Pandora. Canadians are second class idiots as always...

But the rest of the update is rather cool! I've used the music shopping for iTunes to listen to snippets via the Cloud. I've also listened to my own purchases via the Cloud. There's a little lag but I guess that should be expected. No need to fire up the Mac to listen to music. Although I need the iPod Touch to control the ATV.

All in all I like it a lot!:)
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple TV Update Pulled After User Reports Of Bricked Devices

Friday, we reported that Apple TV was updated with a new v6.0 update, bringing with it features like AirPlay from iCloud and iTunes Radio.

Today, however, Electronista reports that the update has been pulled. We’ve confirmed that the update is no longer available, as our un-updated Apple TV still says it has up to date software today.

We assume the update was pulled due to several user reports on the Apple TV discussion forum of Apple TV devices becoming useless after updating to the new OS.

The discussion forums are full of early updaters reporting that the new firmware rendered their Apple TVs useless, and are unable to restore earlier firmware without connecting it to iTunes with micro USB. Apple has not commented on when a new version will come out.

It’s a shame, as the new firmware brought with it some great new changes, not the least of which was the addition of iTunes Radio and streaming purchased music from iCloud, even on other people’s Apple TVs. It came out along with iTunes 11.1 and iOS 7 last week, completing the loop of Apple hardware and software across all devices.

9-23-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

After botched debut, new Apple TV update is back with fixes

After releasing a buggy version of new Apple TV software last week (and subsequently removing it from download) Apple has issued a new version of the update to Apple TV users. The new version is labeled Apple TV Software 6.0, and it comes in at build number 11A502. This is a substantial increase from pulled 11A470e version. The new Apple TV update brings iTunes Radio, the iTunes Music Store, and new AirPlay functionality.

9-23-13

9to5mac.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Latest over-the-air update adds Major League Soccer to Apple TV

An Apple TV content update supplied on Thursday has added video from Major League Soccer, as well as the Disney Junior channel.

MLS for Apple TV includes free on-demand video highlights, analysis, fantasy soccer advice, and player profiles. Viewers can also watch full episodes of the series "MLS 36" and "MLS Insider."

The new application available on the Apple TV home screen also offers the latest league standings, and access to videos created by individual clubs.

Users who have an MLS Live subscription for $14.99 per month also have access to live streaming and archived versions of regular season matches, though local and national blackout rules apply.

MLS joins the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, and the National Hockey League in offering live streaming of games to subscribers on the Apple TV.

Also added on Thursday is Disney Junior, making it the latest channel from Disney to arrive on the Apple TV. Last month, the company also added Disney Channel and Disney XD to the Apple TV lineup.

Apple has been steadily adding channels to the Apple TV through new dedicated apps throughout 2013. That August update also added Vevo, Weather Channel and Smithsonian Channel, while a separate June update added HBO Go, WatchESPN, Sky News, CrunchyRolle and Qello.

Apple's set-top box was also updated with software version 6.0 last week, adding support for iTunes Radio and AirPlay content from iCloud, such as iTunes Movies or music from iTunes Match, to another person's Apple TV.

9-26-13

appleinsider.com

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Yay! I will get to see all matches from my beloved Impact... :)

All I'll need now is the Arsenal games and I can get rid of the satellite dish.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple TVs get iMovie Theater support in latest update

Following Apple's announcement that its new iMovie apps for OS X and iOS would support a new sharing feature called iMovie Theater, the company activated an Apple TV channel dedicated to the service.

In an over-the-air update to its set-top streaming device on Tuesday, Apple is now pushing from its servers a new iMovie Theater channel to support the new iMovie apps released alongside OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Along with a graphical overhaul, iMovie for both Mac and iOS offer new features rooted in iCloud. With iMovie Theater, users can create clips, trailers or movies and share them across devices with friends and family.

The content served up by the service can be created in iOS or OS X and stored in one location for easy access.

iMovie for iOS can be purchased for $4.99, while the Mac version costs $14.99. Both versions come pre-installed on new devices and those who purchased the software through the App Store are eligible for free upgrades.

10-23-13

appleinsider.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple TV Software Gets Updated To Version 6.0.1

We didn’t get a glimpse of the new Apple TV at this week’s event, or even a major UI update, but Apple did release a small update for Apple TV this afternoon bumping it up to version 6.0.1.

Apple today issued a firmware update for Apple TV after earlier this week rolling out a new iMovie Theater channel that allows users to view movies and other video content uploaded to iCloud through iMovie Theater on other iOS devices.

Apple still hasn’t said what kind of new goodies version 6.0.1 Build 11B511d contains, but we’ll let you know if we discover anything worth noting in the meantime.Users can download the update to your Apple TV by going to Settings >> General >> Software Update

10-24-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple TV NBA League Pass app updated for new season

Following significant updates to its app on iOS, the NBA has updated its app on the Apple TV for the 2013-2014 season. The new season begins tonight, starting with three games (and several games tomorrow night). The updated Apple TV application includes a new icon on the Apple TV Home screen, the ability to view NBA standings across the league, the ability to stream games if you have a League Pass subscription, view highlights, and access NBA downloads from iTunes. More photos of the updated app below.

10-29-13

9to5mac.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads