Apple TV Tips And Tricks

This is a discussion on Apple TV Tips And Tricks within the Apple TV forums, part of the Apple Hardware category; As the Apple TV gains new apps, some users may find that the device's home screen is getting a bit cluttered. For example, I don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Apple TV Tips And Tricks

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Hide apps on the Apple TV

As the Apple TV gains new apps, some users may find that the device's home screen is getting a bit cluttered. For example, I don't care to watch sports on my Apple TV, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to see those apps.

Go to Settings > General > Parental Controls, turn on Parental Controls if it's not already activated (you'll be asked to enter a 4-digit PIN), then scroll down and click on the apps you want to hide to toggle their visibility.

Another way.

Change the show/hide settings for apps without enabling Parental Controls. (It's still in Settings > General > Parental Controls, but you can bypass the top section and go directly to the app list below.)

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

How to Hide Apps & Icons on the Apple TV

Apple TV makes rearranging the app icons easy enough, but you can also hide services, icons, and apps that you don’t want visible at all. This is useful as a way of tidying up the Apple TV home screen of apps or services you never use or aren’t interested in watching (ESPN, HBO, Hulu, whatever), and it’s also a great way to limit access for specific media providers and shows that you don’t want someone else to see.

Much like on the mobile side of iOS with the iPad and iPhone, hiding apps on the Apple TV is handled through Parental Controls:

Open the Settings app on the Apple TV and choose “Parental Controls”
    Choose “Turn On Parental Controls” and set a passcode for accessing the control panel (this is only necessary if you haven’t used parental controls yet)
    Go through the list of apps/icons on the Apple TV home screen and flip them so they are shown as “Hide” to remove the app icon from the screen, or “Show” to make it visible”

There’s also a third “Ask” option, which requires the parental control passcode to be entered in order to use the app. That option is mostly useless for the intention of hiding apps or icons, but it is excellent for the original intention of parental controls, which is to control access to apps or services that may have media or programming that you do not wish children or other individuals to see or access from the Apple TV.

7-9-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

How to view your iPhoto images on an Apple TV

“I’ve recently returned from a trip to Australia with a lot of pictures on my camera. I’d like to view those pictures on my Apple TV, but I don’t see an entry other than Photo Stream. How can I stream my pictures from iPhoto to my Apple TV?”

Although you may believe that iPhoto is key to this process, that’s not the case. Instead, turn to iTunes.

Launch that application on your Mac, choose File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to Share With Apple TV. In the Photo Sharing Preferences window that appears, enable the Share Photos From option and then be sure that iPhoto is selected from the pop-up menu next to it. (You could otherwise choose Aperture if you had a copy, a folder of your choosing or the Pictures folder in your user account.)

To share all your pictures enable the All photos, albums, Events and Faces option. If you choose, instead, to share just particular albums, events or faces, enable the next option – Selected albums, Events and Faces. If you enable this option, you’ll have to select the collections of pictures you want to see from the Albums, Events and Faces lists that appear.

Regardless of which of these two options you enable, you can additionally choose to include videos by enabling the option of the same name. Once you’ve made your choice, click Apply.

Use iTunes to choose the images to view on your Apple TV.

Now move to your Apple TV, select Computers on its home screen, click the Select button and you’ll see a Photos entry that wasn’t there before. Select that, click the Select button, and you’ll see entries for your photos, split into their appropriate categories – Events, Photos, Faces and Albums, for example. Choose one of these items, press Select and you’ll see thumbnail images of the pictures within the item. At this point you can select an image, click Select and then page through your images using the remote’s Next and Back buttons.

Or you can select Slideshow, press Select and then configure your slideshow with the many options that appear on the resulting screen. For example, you can choose music to accompany your slideshow, shuffle your images, configure the slideshow to repeat and choose a theme. When you’re ready to begin, just select and click Start Slideshow.

8-29-13

www.macworld.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Restoring a ‘bricked’v Apple TV

“After reading your first look at the Apple TV 6.0 software I was anxious to upgrade. Unfortunately something went wrong and my Apple TV became unresponsive. I’ve since unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now I see an iTunes icon on my TV screen. What should I do?”

You’re not alone. Several people have reported that updating via the Apple TV’s over-the-air mechanism caused similar unanticipated results. As I write this, Apple has pulled the update. Second- and third-generation Apple TVs running version 5.3 of the operating system report that they’re up-to-date.

But for you, that ship has sailed. So, let’s see what we can do to put things right.

The pictogram you see on your TV screen is telling you that you have to restore the Apple TV through iTunes. You may need to do this because the update simply didn’t take or because you lost patience during the update process and pulled the plug precipitously. I mention the latter because this particular update took longer than any Apple TV update I recall in recent years. While I successfully updated two Apple TVs, the process took about 40 minutes for each one and I can understand how someone might believe that something had gone wrong and pulled the plug, thus rendering the device inoperable.

Either way, you’re currently sitting on a useless Apple TV. Fortunately, it’s not difficult to put things right (though it may require a trip to Ye Olde Cable Shoppe).

Connect the Apple TV to your computer via the micro USB port.

In order to perform the update you’ll need a USB-to-micro-USB cable. This is the very tiny USB connector found on Kindle e-readers versus the larger trapezoidal connector used by many digital cameras. Take a look at the USB port (found under the HDMI port) on the back of the Apple TV to see what I mean.

String this cable between your Apple TV and your Mac. The Apple TV’s status light will blink and iTunes should launch automatically. If it doesn’t, fire it up. By default iTunes displays an Apple TV entry in the main window, which contains a Restore Apple TV button. Click this button and iTunes will download the latest version of the Apple TV software and install it on the device. Again, as I write this, that version is 5.3, though I expect Apple to reissue a working version of the 6.0 update shortly.

iTunes will tell you when the job is done. Just disconnect the Apple TV from your computer and plug it back into your TV. Once booted, it should work as well as it did before the aborted update.

9-24-13

www.macworld.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

The case of the missing Apple TV movies

“After a recent update I switched on my Apple TV prepared to watch a movie I’d ripped from a DVD I own. It – and other movies I’ve ripped – are gone! What happened to them?”

With the latest iTunes and Apple TV, Apple categorises such movies (any variety of video that wasn’t obtained from the iTunes Store) as home videos. When you select Computers on your Apple TV you will see an entry for Home Videos as the fourth item in the media list. If you select that item and then click the remote’s Select button, all your ripped movies should appear.

If, like me, you find it a bit silly to separate your Apple-purchased movies from those you’ve ripped (and yes, you should do this only with discs that you own), you can correct this behaviour. To do so, you’ll need to change the media type for these movies from Home Video to Movies. There are a couple of ways to do this in iTunes.

The first is to select Movies in iTunes, click the Home Videos heading in the main window, select everything in that window, press Command-I, click the Options tab, choose Movie from the Media Kind pop-up menu, and click OK.

Changing the media type of multiple 'home videos'.

I find this method a little clumsy because there may be smaller movies – movies of the family that you’ve created with iMovie, for example – that really are home videos. Use the method I just described and that stuff gets mixed in with your Hollywood hits.

What I would suggest instead is that you choose File > New > Smart Playlist and in the window that appears configure the one and only condition to read Media Kind Is Home Video and click OK. You’ll be presented with a list of all the videos in your iTunes Library tagged as home videos. Now click the Time column heading twice so that the movies with the greatest length appear at the top. These are likely to be the movies you ripped, rather than the video of your kids bombarding each other with water balloons. Select these videos and then run through the procedure I just outlined.

10-16-13

www.macworld.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Awesome tips from Reddit users on how to get the most out of your Apple TV

Flipping through the back pages of “the front page of the Internet” often yields some real gems, and a recently posted thread packed full of tips and tricks for new Apple TV owners certainly fits the bill. When a Reddit user who received a new Apple TV as a Christmas gift posted a message to the Apple subreddit looking for “cool tips,” Redditors answered the call. The thread had more than 250 comments at the time of this writing and it is packed with plenty of great tips and tricks that new users and even some longtime Apple TV owners will find useful.

Here’s a collection of some of the best tips from the thread:

“Holding down the menu button will get you back to the main menu faster than clicking menu 100 times.”

“Holding up during playback shows info about the video. Holding select while the info bar is up gives you audio options (closed captioning).”

“Also, in Netflix, press “play” on the episode in the summary episode-list page to play it directly. Most people press “select” to go into the episode detail page and play it from there.”

“If you go to the settings, you can hide apps from the main screen, which is nice if you know you’re never going to touch a lot of things on it.”

“If you wish to organize your home screen more, you can select an icon and hold down on the center button until the icons start jiggling and move it wherever you want.”

“Configure your display settings to ensure you’re getting the best resolution for your TV size. I noticed that when I first set mine up on our 52″, it wasn’t even pushing HD quality by default.”

“iFlicks is worth every penny. You’ll want to format your movie collection so they’re optimized for streaming to your Apple TV, especially if you’re working across wifi on both systems. iFlicks will automatically format the video and gather the metadata for the video too.”

“If you have an iOS device, particularly an iPad, download and setup the Apple Remote App. It’s much easier to type on your iOS device than using the remote to move letter to letter. Or pair a bluetooth keyboard. It will save your sanity.”

B4MPER notes that Beamer, a $15 app that lets you stream any movie from a Mac computer to an Apple TV, is “worth every penny.”

“You can put the Apple TV to sleep immediately by holding play/pause on the main menu.”

“If you own blu-rays with digital editions, these can be added to your iCloud movies.”

“Take some duct tape. Get your TV remote, get the Apple TV remote. Duct tape that little bastard to the back of your TV remote.”

12-30-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Clean up your Apple TV’s homescreen

Apple added yet another channel to the Apple TV this week, meaning there are more than 30 icons on the device’s homescreen. That can be a lot, especially if you don’t use all of those content providers on a regular basis. Allow me to help you make that glut of icons a bit more manageable.

Transcript

This is Macworld senior editor Dan Moren. With all the options on the Apple TV these days, loading up that grid of icons can often be overwhelming. Here are a couple of quick tips to organise the Apple TV’s homescreen to your liking.

First off, you can rearrange most of the icons on the Apple TV, so that the ones you frequently use are at the top of the screen. Use the directional keys to select an icon, then press and hold the Select key.

Just as on iOS, the icon will begin to wiggle about. You can now use the directional buttons on your remote to move it to a new location; as you do so, the existing apps will shift out of the way. When you’ve found a spot that you like, just press the Select button again, and the icon will stay put. Note that you can’t move items in the first row of icons or move other icons into that first row. Those spots are reserved for content from the iTunes Store and your own computers.

If there are stations that you know you’ll never want to watch, you can also hide them from view by using the Restrictions feature. Just go to the General section of the Apple TV’s Settings menu and select Restrictions. Choose Turn on Restrictions and you’ll be prompted to enter and confirm a four-digit passcode. (The feature is intended for parents to control access for their kids, but you can just use 0000 or something equally simple.)

Once you’ve enabled the feature, scroll down and you’ll see a list of all the channels on the Apple TV. For most, you can choose between three options: Show, Hide and Ask. The latter leaves the icon on the home screen, but prompts you for the passcode when you try to access it. Choose Hide for any channels you don’t want to see, and then hold the Menu key to return to the homescreen.

Clean up your Apple TV's homescreen

1-31-14

Source

Member #

AppleTV without Wifi

Can someone explain to me why I can AirPlay without WiFi. I've got my Mac connected through ethernet to the network, but I've got my AppleTV connected through WiFi. I could still connect to my AppleTV from my Mac. I thought this was only possible if they were both on wifi?

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    A Mac will connect to both Wifi and Ethernet. Check in your network settings.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Here’s how to BitTorrent movies on your Apple TV

Popcorn Time is a fantastic — albeit questionably legal — Mac app that allows you to treat BitTorrent like Netflix, searching for movies and TV shows on sites like The Pirate Bay that you want to watch and then streaming them directly to your computer.

It’s a great app, but it has at least one glaring problem: You can’t stream a movie over Popcorn Time directly to your Apple TV using AirPlay. Luckily, thanks to a new Mac app, you can.

Called TorrenTV, this open-source app allows you to drag-and-drop any torrent file from your desktop right to a special widget that will beam it to your Apple TV.

In some ways, it’s like a combination of Popcorn Time and Beamer. Unlike Popcorn Time, though, there’s no index of files you can choose from. You’ll instead know where to find and add torrents on the Web yourself.

In an interview with TorrentFreak, TorrenTV developer Carlos says: “Popcorn Time is beautiful in code and in looks but I wanted to do two things that PopcornTime didn’t allow me, watch movies directly on my TV and add new torrents which Popcorn Time doesn’t have yet.”

I’ve tried it, and it’s a pretty killer app. Popcorn Time may not have the ability to stream to Apple TV, but thanks to this app, that doesn’t really matter anymore.

Even better, TorrenTV isn’t just a Mac affair. It’s also available for Windows and Linux. You can download it for yourself here.

7-29-14

Source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads