The Apple TV Is Cutting A Lot Of Cable Cords

This is a discussion on The Apple TV Is Cutting A Lot Of Cable Cords within the Apple TV forums, part of the Apple Hardware category; Cord cutting is something a lot of people threaten to do, but pretty much only ever talk about. People really like the idea of eliminating ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Apple TV Is Cutting A Lot Of Cable Cords

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

The Apple TV Is Cutting A Lot Of Cable Cords

Cord cutting is something a lot of people threaten to do, but pretty much only ever talk about. People really like the idea of eliminating their cable bills and simply connecting their TV to the web, but the reality is there’s too much on TV you can’t easily get if you cut the cord, like HBO, and for most people, the technology involved is still a difficult hurdle.

But if there’s anything that’s going to get you to cut the cord? According to a new report, it’s an Apple TV.

This comes from a new survey done by TDG Research, which finds that Internet broadband users with connected TVs are twice as likely to cut the cord and quit their cable services as those who don’t connect their TVs to the Internet at all.

That’s almost a ‘no duh’ observation: if you can already connect your TV to the Internet to stream video content online, of course you’re closer to cutting the cord than those who are still squinting into some old analog cathode ray for their TV.

Keep in mind, though, that right now, the Apple TV has 56 percent of the streaming device market. It’s the most popular smart TV or set-top box solution out there. That means Apple is inspiring an awful lot of cord-cutting.

That’s not necessarily the way Apple wants it to be, though. Recent reports suggest that Apple is working with cable companies to make it easier to watch cable TV through the Apple TV, as long as you’re a subscriber. Apple wants to become the cord, not cut it.

8-14-13

Source

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I'm one of those cord cutters, I love my Apple TV!
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I use mine for airplay of reality tv programs all the time.... Daily in fact.
    ardchoille likes this.
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I also love my Apple TV but I also have a Now TV (Roku), WD TV Live and a BT Vision boxes. Between them I get plenty of choice and right now none of them do everything I want but combined I've got all I want right now......if Apple TV up's the stakes in the future then maybe I can lose one or more of those boxes.

The Archangel
    The Archangel

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I as well have a Roku box.. The second version I believe.. Don't hardly use it at all anymore....

I also have a Google Revue box of which I have not used in well over a year..... It comes 'round full circle to the Apple Tv for me...
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Roku box that I have gives me access to sports channels that were removed from my BT Vision box and I'm an armchair fan so it was a no brainer for me. The other reason is that it was only £9.99 and came with a HDMI cable, so the cable alone is worth the cost of the box.

I use the WD TV Live for streaming my ripped DVD's.

BT Vision gives me a lot of free or subsidised movies although the option to have Sky Movies on my new Now TV box may eliminate the need for that (but they screen loads of Rugby Union games so I'm probably stuck with it).

Apple TV is used for iTunes Movies and for streaming from my iPad.

It all feels over the top and some I won't use much but until they start to converge I like to have the options.

The Archangel
    The Archangel

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I only have the Apple TV, but I use it for iTunes movies/TV, Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube. And, I'm thinking about getting a second one for the bedroom.

Apple should add Safari to Apple TV.
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
    ......if Apple TV up's the stakes in the future then maybe I can lose one or more of those boxes.
    There were rumblings that the BBC iPlayer was coming to the ATV sometime ago but that has still to materialise....that would be a real bonus for the device as far as I am concerned. I use my ATV to stream iTunes content and for Netflix, and with two TVs in the house, I am thinking of purchasing another next time they are refreshed.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Apple TV needs a mouse. And Safari. Then it will be complete.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Then again, Apple TV should be a component of Airport Extreme with a wifi remote...
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads