Hard drive space.

This is a discussion on Hard drive space. within the iMac forums, part of the Mac Forum category; I have already posted this in the general discussions forum before I realised there is a dedicated imac section, excuse this as I only joined ...

Member #

Hard drive space.

I have already posted this in the general discussions forum before I realised there is a dedicated imac section, excuse this as I only joined today. I hope posting it in two forums isnot against any rules, if it is admin please remove one.

Hello

I am a newbie here, just joined today. I want to upgrade my operating system to Maverick, it is on an imac 27, 2010 model. I understand that Aperture 2 does not work properly with Maverick. To avoid any potential problems with my photos (ther are gigs of them) I am in the process of exporting the masters to another place on my hard drive so I can ultimatley get rid of Aperture, the problem I have is that moving them all to another place I am rapidly running out of hard drive space, I thought that once I had moved them I coulddelete the ones in Aperture and get the space back, deleting them in Aperture is not giving me any space back on the hard drive, I have emptied the trash bin on the imac, I have also emptied the trash bin in Aperture to no avail, any one have any ideas. Sorry this is so long, just wanted it to be as informative as possible.

Thank you

Terry

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Most of these photo management applications work in a very similar way. They will keep a single copy of the original photo and a whole host of metadata associated with it, including a thumbnail, any tags you add etc. All this data is stored and accesses through a database structure. If you edit an image within the application, the original will probably be left untouched, a copy will be made and edits made to the copy, thus preserving the original. When you delete an image, what probably happens is that all the metadata associated with an image is removed from the database, but the original image is left untouched....hence the reason deleting an image does not save you any hard disk space.

Aperture houses all these files in a single 'Library', normally placed in your 'Pictures' Folder. The library is what is termed a 'package' file, and it is presented as a single entity, although it is actually composed of numerous folders and files. If you right-click the Library in Finder and select 'Show Package Contents', you will be granted access to the internal contents. You should be able to find you original images in the 'Masters' folder, from where you can delete those images you have copied to a new location.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads