IMac gets see through "curtain" over screen and stops working

This is a discussion on IMac gets see through "curtain" over screen and stops working within the iMac forums, part of the Mac Forum category; Hello, I'm new to this forum and am trying to help my mother with her IMac computer trouble. [I][I][B]Small vertical lines about a half inch ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

IMac gets see through "curtain" over screen and stops working

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and am trying to help my mother with her IMac computer trouble. [I][I][B]Small vertical lines about a half inch long begin to fill the screen in multiple rows. I can still see through this "curtain" but nothing will operate. this has been happening a month, and I just brought her computer home with me to put it online and do some updates. It is working presently. Is this a problem that just goes away when the computer is unplugged for awhile? Or is it something more serious? The only thing she uses on this 7-year-old IMac is the Word program and the game of solitaire. she doesn't know more than this. She received the computer used 2 years ago after a relative cleaned it out and fixed it up for her as if it were new. I will appreciate anything anyone here could tell me about this. Thank you so much! Carolyn

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    On a 7 year old iMac, it is possible that the graphics system is starting to have problems. What exactly is happening is difficult to diagnose without seeing the machine I'm afraid. Are there any Apple Stores or Resellers near you who may be able to take a look at the machine?
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - Yosemite (10.10.0)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks (10.9.5)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 5S - iOS 8.1.0
    iPad Air - iOS 8.1.0

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    On a 7 year old iMac, it is possible that the graphics system is starting to have problems. What exactly is happening is difficult to diagnose without seeing the machine I'm afraid. Are there any Apple Stores or Resellers near you who may be able to take a look at the machine?
    Thank you for your input JezzerP. I'll look into that.

Ads