Put iMac to sleep or shut down

This is a discussion on Put iMac to sleep or shut down within the iMac forums, part of the Mac Forum category; Is it ok to keep putting my mac to sleep or should it be shut down at night. Also what is the best way to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Put iMac to sleep or shut down

Member #
    Liked
    41 times

Put iMac to sleep or shut down

Is it ok to keep putting my mac to sleep or should it be shut down at night. Also what is the best way to handle a frozen screen is it ok to power off and on again. I don't have any maintenance routine what are the necessary things that should be done. I have only had my iMac for a year and a half. Is it good to turn it off completely every so often. Any help much appreciated .

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I usually put them to sleep between usage during the day, and shut them down at night, or if i'm not home for a long period of time.
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I only EVER shut my computer down if I'm going on holiday or I restart to install updates occasionally (probably once every 2 months). What I've done is, made a hot corner in the bottom left of my iMac which puts the display to sleep, I turn my keyboard off, put the mouse in the corner and turn the mouse off. Basically the display and accessories are both off but the computer is still running. Makes for an easy startup. I don't know if this is doing harm to my computer or not, but without the display being on it doesn't produce too much heat, just increases the electric bill slightly.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I have only been putting my iMac to sleep, but I did wonder if restarting completely every so often helped put things in place. I don't really know what kind of maintenance I should be doing. I had read that mac maintain themselves during the night if your in uk and maybe it should be left on, do you think it would wake for that. Sometimes my mac just comes on for no reason and I get up and put it in sleep again does that happen with yours?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes, it happened with my old one, that is why I shut my iMacs down at night since my desk is in my room.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My desk is also in my room near my bed, however with only putting the actual display to sleep and turning the mouse and keyboard off, I don't find it coming back on.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Mine is not in my room so god knows how many times it's coming on. But if it's to fix it's self I don't mind at all lol. Woooooooo mac is alive lol

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Ahaha, mine has a mind of it's own.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I only ever put mine to sleep. It's seems to be recommended from other forums I visit. But the hard drive in my aging MacBook seems spin up during the night like it is waking from sleep then nothing.. then spins up, then nothing.. It does this constantly until I wake it up. Then I go to sleep and it most likely does it most of the night. I don't think it's from leaving it on and only sleeping it at night but some component inside my macbook is acting up and not letting it sleep peacefully anymore. It used to kick the screen back on during the hard drive spin ups, but since I updated to Lion it doesn't anymore.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    My computers wake me alot...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads