Seeking advice on order of operations: failing hard drive, update OS, etc

This is a discussion on Seeking advice on order of operations: failing hard drive, update OS, etc within the iMac forums, part of the Mac Forum category; I am currently on a mid 2007 imac (imac7,1) with 10.5.8 instaled and running. 2gb ram, low I know. This computer so far has been ...

Member #

Seeking advice on order of operations: failing hard drive, update OS, etc

I am currently on a mid 2007 imac (imac7,1) with 10.5.8 instaled and running. 2gb ram, low I know. This computer so far has been nothing but great. So much so I dont know some things which must be basics for many of you.

About my setup:
    1 - Existing internal hd which I think is failing
    2 - Existing OWC portable used for time Machine backups. USB only
    3 - Existing WD my book studio External drive used for photo library. This is lightrooms library and I work directly off of it. photos are backed up onto my existing internal hd. Firewire800
    4 - New WD my book studio with nothing on it yet (was going to use it for photos and free up internal hd, but now rethinking that) its firewire 800.

I just purchased snow leopard so I at least still get security updates from apple. Also, as stated above, I purchased a new external I was going to use as a photo backup. While waiting for both of these to arrive, I found my computer really slowing. The system profiler shows many many many "open error 5: "input/output...." . Is it fair to assume my internal hd will soon fail?

I was planning on simply updating my system from leopard to snow leopard...I have several programs of which I no longer have the disk for - I wasnt previously considering a clean install.

So my question is should I

A - simply install snow leopard and make a bootable clone on the new exteranl drive I was hoping to use for photo storage untill I can replace the presumably failing internal hd?
    B - Make a bootable clone to my new external first then updatemy OS and do a new bootable clone?
    C - Make a bootable clone, replace my internal hd, then upgrade OS
    D - Make a bootable clone and update that (is that even possible) and live with it
    D - Something I am not thinking off?

My head is spining and I see so many ways I can mess up that which many of you must see as simple! Ive been so fortunate that this stuff has never failed so all of the above options no matter what i choose will be a first. If my hd fails before I do anything, how easy is it to use the time machine backups? Is my backup used for time machine bootable?

Thanks!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, I think the first question you need to ask yourself is how indispensable the programs you've lost the disks for are? Are there alternatives? Do you have any sort of proof of purchase for them? Serials keys etc? Are these programs even compatible with Snow Leopard? I think it is important to get these things straight in your head before we can start to put together an upgrade strategy.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads