Re-name External Hard Drive

This is a discussion on Re-name External Hard Drive within the iMac forums, part of the Mac Forum category; This is driving me mad!! I am a very new iMac owner and I am still getting to grips with OS X Lion (which incidentally ...

Member #

Question Re-name External Hard Drive

This is driving me mad!! I am a very new iMac owner and I am still getting to grips with OS X Lion (which incidentally I am starting to fall in love with!).....but my external hard drive which is a Maxtor 320 GB shows up on my desktop as “Untitled” and try as I might I cannot change the label. I know it is of little importance, and is just my OCD kicking in, but I can change the labels on desktop folders ok, but not this blasted hard drive icon.
    Anybody got any ideas?????

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You should be able to click on the external hard drives icon to where it will highlight the icon itself. Then click the text "untitled" once and it should show it highlighted in a text box and then should be able to type what you want in there. I just did this with mine.
    MacBook Air 11", 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD
    MacBook 2.0GHz C2D | 23" HD Dell Monitor
    32GB White iPad 2 Wifi | Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    32GB Black iPhone 4

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
    You should be able to click on the external hard drives icon to where it will highlight the icon itself. Then click the text "untitled" once and it should show it highlighted in a text box and then should be able to type what you want in there. I just did this with mine.
    Thanks for that but I am afraid still no joy. The blasted thing refuses to be renamed!!

Any more ideas would be gratefully received!!

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I have a related question. How do you change the hard drive's image? It looks like a muffler. Not quite graceful...

Member #
    Does this make sense to anyone......I found it on the Apple Communities"If the drive was formatted on a windows machine, it could very well be in NTFS format. Macs only partially support NTFS with current operating systems in that they can pen them and access them as READ ONLY but can not write to them. If your drive is NTFS then that is why you can not change the title (or write any files to it)."Again I would be grateful for any comments

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi Grandad, I suspect your drive is being used as a back up drive there for locked

this is in help menu on finder just search hard drive
    Your computer’s internal hard disk is named Macintosh HD by default. It’s OK to rename your hard disk, if you like.
    • Click the hard disk icon on your desktop and press Return.If you don’t see the hard disk icon, choose Finder > Preferences, click General, and then select “Hard disks.”
    • Type a name.You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon (:) or start the name with a period (.).
    • Press Return.
    If that does not work then please try the following
    Select drive
    command I (get info)
    Change name of drive
    close window
    You may need to restart computer

As another user stated it may have been formatted with windows. I recommend reformatting all Hard drives be for using with Apples Disk Utility

Changing picture is similar : command i on hard drive icon find the icon you want copy and past and it is done. in the get info window you may need to use the small icon at top of window as this is a change in Lion

One more thing USB drives are cheap but soooooo slow Fire wire externals are the best

PS Granddad I am 67 my first computer was an Apple II in late 1977

col.bris
    Administrator

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.bris View Post
    Hi Grandad, I suspect your drive is being used as a back up drive there for locked

this is in help menu on finder just search hard drive
    Your computer’s internal hard disk is named Macintosh HD by default. It’s OK to rename your hard disk, if you like.
    • Click the hard disk icon on your desktop and press Return.If you don’t see the hard disk icon, choose Finder > Preferences, click General, and then select “Hard disks.”
    • Type a name.You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon (:) or start the name with a period (.).
    • Press Return.
    If that does not work then please try the following
    Select drive
    command I (get info)
    Change name of drive
    close window
    You may need to restart computer

As another user stated it may have been formatted with windows. I recommend reformatting all Hard drives be for using with Apples Disk Utility

Changing picture is similar : command i on hard drive icon find the icon you want copy and past and it is done. in the get info window you may need to use the small icon at top of window as this is a change in Lion

One more thing USB drives are cheap but soooooo slow Fire wire externals are the best

PS Granddad I am 67 my first computer was an Apple II in late 1977
    Hi Col
    I have tried all the above to no avail. I think it will need to be re-formatted in disc utility, because it was originally connected to a PC.
    However I understand that it will wipe the hard drive....... is that the case?
    You have eleven years on me sir I am 56. I started back in 1994 with Win 3.1 and as I always comment to my young nephews it took 20 minutes to load Word!!
    I bought an iPad back last autumn and that was it, hooked on Apple so I took the huge leap and purchased an iMac last week, and I love it. Your comments and suggestions on reformatting drive very welcome and I note your point about firewire.

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Locate disk utility in utilities folder inside applicationa folder launch select external drive to reformat just follow instructions use help menu in every application as that works Be aware yes it will wipe the external drive However if it is back up that is not an issue and yes you can change name before you format. Cheers

col.bris
    Administrator

Member #
    Thank you Col. All now working fine and my ex. HD is now linked to Time Machine and is properly re-named, so thanks again!!!

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Thanks a lot, Col!

Remove Ads

Ads