Toshiba Thrive, Not Quite A Rival for iPad 2

This is a discussion on Toshiba Thrive, Not Quite A Rival for iPad 2 within the iPad News forums, part of the Apple News category; Thoshiba is finally steeping up itís game on the tablet market and has announced the launch of its iPad 2 competitor, namely the Toshiba Thrive. ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Toshiba Thrive, Not Quite A Rival for iPad 2

Thoshiba is finally steeping up itís game on the tablet market and has announced the launch of its iPad 2 competitor, namely the Toshiba Thrive. We will be seeing this little guy hitting stores in the US starting the 10th of July. As usual for all Android 3.1 tablets, the Thrive will be powered by the Nvidia Tegra2 Soc clocked at 1 ghz, standard 1 gb of ram, 16 or 32 gb of storage, a front facing two-megapixel camera and a five megapixel-rear model, Bluetooth ,Gps and the ever present docking station.

For now the device will come only in a Wifi version, the 3g model coming at an undisclosed latter date. Leaving aside the normal specs, the tablet will be coming with a much welcomed user replaceable battery, a full size SD slot that is compatible with 64 gb SDXC cards, which means you could be enjoying up to a total of 96 gb of storage space. USB host and USB mini ports will be present and so will be a full sized HDMI port, hidden away by a flap. This means that in contrast to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 or the iPad 2 there is no need to acquire any extra accessories to be able to enjoy these features. And even if it wouldnít be a matter of saving money you still would be left with a pouch of dongles to carry around after you, not the prettiest of sights.

Compared with the iPad 2, though, we can clearly see that its specifications arenít quite enough to represent a worthy iPad 2 rival. It can compete with the first version of the iPad, but surely not with the last one. It seems that the folks at Toshiba have given this device proper thought as it improves on many of the main downfalls of its competitors.

By Radu Tyrsina

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've never even heard of it, and I doubt many people await it's arrival.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I tested it out recently, I was quite a fan of the browser and other features of the device. But it is a very unattractive device hardware wise. iPad FTW.
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

DrivetheGreen66
    Its nice but I still prefer my xoom.

Sent from my Droid Charge via Tapatalk!!!

In a World of doesn't, Droid does.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Xoom is quite nice, My father just purchased the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 because it is lighter than the Xoom. Of course, i'm still loyal to the iPad:)
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The Xoom and Transformer are the front runners in my opinion. The Thrive is nice with its full usb and HDMI ports but the Xoom will see Google updates faster. Also the keyboard dock for the transformer is very nice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Appleforums.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Remove Ads

Ads