My Music (7.04 GB, 846 files, 135 folders) not in iTunes, but on iPad?

This is a discussion on My Music (7.04 GB, 846 files, 135 folders) not in iTunes, but on iPad? within the iPad forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; I am new to Appleforums, my problem relates to my iPad 2 and also iTunes on my laptop, so please forgive me if I have ...

Member #

My Music (7.04 GB, 846 files, 135 folders) not in iTunes, but on iPad?

I am new to Appleforums, my problem relates to my iPad 2 and also iTunes on my laptop, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the incorrect Forum. My problems all started as a result of trying to upgrade my iPad 2 to iOS5, and as advised, before doing that I was trying to back everything up first.
    Whilst doing this I found that I could not sync everything to my laptop, because it started running out of memory, I tried to free memory by deleting some stuff, but it was not enough. So I thought Iíll transfer, > My Music and iTunes to an external hard drive. This did not work, and seemed to cause problems, and at one point I thought that Iíd lost all my music. I have now found that it is not lost, but on my laptop, all in My Music Ė in a folder > Music > in iTunes Media > in iTunes > in My Music (7.04 GB, 846 files, 135 folders), but when I go to iTunes it only has 14 songs (116.7MB) showing in it? I have uninstalled/re-installed iTunes, etc as on Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP, which I thought may help, but nothing has changed. I canít find where, on my laptop, iTunes keeps filed the few music files that it is showing, i.e. the 14 songs, if I could find them then I presume I could copy - My Music (7.04 GB, 846 files , 135 folders) into it?
    On my laptop from the (7.04 GB, 846 files, 135 folders)folder in > Music > in iTunes Media > in iTunes > in My Music > in My Documents does not show any of that its music content when I open iTunes to access the music, only the 14 songs are available. Strangely though some of the folders within My Music> iTunes> iTunes Media> shows the Books folder > TV Shows and also Downloads> Podcasts which show files that that seem to be complete, although the folder > Books only seems to show the books on my iPad, but not any of the PDF docs that I have in iBooks on my iPad.
    All of my music is from CD copies, ripped by iTunes, although the TV shows are downloads. I am concerned that if I allow iTunes to sync with my iPad, it will only put the 14 songs on, and delete all the music that is still on my iPad. Sorry if this query is rather long, but thought it was best to give as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Neil

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    It sounds like the first thing you need to do is consolidate all your media files into one place, and judging by what you say I suggest the external drive would be the best place. You can then point iTunes at that location and rebuild the library. Syncing with your iPad is a different issue and I would only tackle that once you have your media files and iTunes sorted out.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have now done as you suggested and consolidated all my media files in one place, and am now in the process of copying the iTunes files over to the external hard drive. I will check that all that has completed OK before I sync with my iPad. I appreciate your invaluable help in pointing me in the right direction, I seem to have spent a couple of days going round in circles. Neil

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Having sorted out your library, you need to change the iTunes library location in Preferences. Then, go to File > Library > Organise Library, making sure the Consolidate Library button is Unchecked. This will rebuild the iTunes library without moving any of the media files. Hopefully, when iTunes had done its stuff, all your music should be available. You can then decide how you want to sync with your iPad.
    Last edited by JezzerP; 12-10-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads