my Ipad won't boot up

This is a discussion on my Ipad won't boot up within the iPad forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; I have an Ipad 1 It was working fine one day, the next day when I went to turn it on, nothing happened. The screen ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

my Ipad won't boot up

I have an Ipad 1

It was working fine one day, the next day when I went to turn it on, nothing happened. The screen stays blank. I tried plugging into the charger and when I do, the little apple comes up, stays there for a few seconds, the the screen goes blank... then after a few seconds the apple comes up, stays there for a few seconds and dissappars again. This pattern repeats over and over. If I hold the round button and the little switch, the apple comes up, then it switches to the little picture of a USB cable and above that it says "itunes" as if it's asking you to plug it into itunes. But if you unplug it from the charger and plug the USB into the computer, you can't get it to turn on at all.

If you have any ideas, let me know. The battery was fine the day before it failed and it was working just fine.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Is this what it looks like??

Not sure of the S/W you have in it at the moment, jailbreak, ect..

First,1.) Method 1 – Hold the wake button at the top of the iPad until the slide to power off screen appears. Slide your finger to power off the iPad. Then, hold the wake switch until the iPad turns back on and the Apple logo appears on the screen.

2.) Method 2 – Hold the Menu and Wake buttons at the same time until the iPad restarts and the Apple logo appears.

3.) Method 3 – If your iPad boots, go into Settings and then General –> Reset. There you will find several settings to reset the iPad.

If your iPad still will not sync to a computer, try these additional steps.

1.) Try another USB port on your computer.

2.) Restart your computer.

3.) If you don’t already have it, download the latest version of iTunes.

Can be lots more problems W/O seeing it, but let me know how this turns out for ya.

8-2-12

Member #
    That's exactly what the screen looks like if I hold the round button and the switch for a long time.

The Ipad has not been jailbroken, I bought it new and have never tinkered with it. I always updated the software to the latest version and it was up to date when the problem started.

Method 1 Holding the wake button does nothing, the screen goes black and stays black. I held it for over a minute. When I release it after a minute, the little apple just comes up, then goes away, then comes up, then goes away... over and over. (as long as it's plugged into the charger, if on battery only, nothing happens)

Method 2 When I do that, it does not restart, instead, the screen you show in your post asking you to plug into itunes comes up. It stays there for about 10 minutes, then it goes back to the little apple alternating with blackness, over and over. It wont seem to boot at all. If you unplug it from the charger and insert the usb into the computer while it's asking to be connected to itunes, the screen goes black and nothing you do, no combinations of button pushing will cause it to do anything.

Method 3, I can't get there because it wont boot.

I've tried all the USB ports. I have another Ipad and it connects just fine using the usb ports so I know they are working properly.

Restarting the computer does not help matters, and as I said, it will connect just fine to my other ipad and other usb devices.

I have the latest version of itunes installed.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    When you say you tried all the USB devices, did ya try new cables
    as well??

Ya might wanna jump back a S/W version then boot back up.

I'll talk 2 ya tomm. as it's 1:46 A. M. Locally here, I'm tried here..

Sent from my iPhone 4 via TapaTalk
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.10 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 7.1-- Apple Tv 3rd Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Thanks for the help.

I tried two different cables, although I know its not the cables because they work perfectly with my other Ipad. Not sure how I can load another S/w version because I cant get it to turn on at all, unless itsconnected to the charger, and then it just asks to be connected to itunes. When I then pull the cable out of the charger and it immediately goes blank, plugging it in to any usb port does nothing, it wont even come on. Its not the usb ports because they work fine with the other Ipad.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Another thing to try is to go here Source

Try d/loading different versions if your iPad will allow it to.

Member #
    thats not possible, Its completely dead unless connected to the charger, you cant even access it.

I took it to an apple store today, they say the memory is bad. Naturally, its just out of warranty so I'm screwed. They will replace it if I fork over $249 plus tax. They say they dont repair them, just swap them out.

This is my last apple product, an $800 unit should not fail for no reason after 15 months of light use.
    Last edited by busboy; 08-03-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Ads