IPad Virus Protection

This is a discussion on IPad Virus Protection within the iPad forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; As a new IPad user and an old MS OS user I have a question. We all know you need virus protection software on MS ...

Member #

Red face IPad Virus Protection

As a new IPad user and an old MS OS user I have a question. We all know you need virus protection software on MS OS system, but what about on my IPad? Just seems if I connect to the internet I need some type of application for protection. Is the OS on the IPad that good that I don't need something else? Thanks

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to, but there just aren't the same threats to the iPad as there are to a Windows OS. There have been a couple of malicious bits of code which I am aware of on the iPad, but neither of these were a threat to the general population of iPad users. Both were specific to jailbroken devices and were very quickly addressed by the community making everyone safe. Furthermore they never really made it into mainstream circulation.

If you keep your iPad OS up to date you really have nothing to worry about. IOS is very secure and it's sandbox approach to applications means there really is very little chance of any virus being able to infect your device or do any damage.

Just relax and enjoy your iPad!
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 4.3.3 (jbme) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)

If it ain't broke... Jailbreak it!

Please review the AppleForums.net Guidelines of Conduct before posting!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Like Mac OS X, you don't need anti-virus software or spyware detectors etc. especially not on iDevices. They are quite secure and hackers find it easier and more profitable to go for the PC/Android users because of the open app stores and the amount of people who have PC rather than Mac. There has been a few programs that have tried to hack into Mac's over the past few years but they get quite a bit of media coverage and get removed from the internet or just ignored.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    Still waiting to see the 1st Virus on iPAD
    Tweaks favorite meal - Memory

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Smile

I see you made it over from IPF.

~ iPad 1 64GB, wifi 3G JB ~ Apple Forums Rules

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Smile

I have never heard of anything remotely close to being called a virus.

~ iPad 1 64GB, wifi 3G JB ~ Apple Forums Rules

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iJasonTATE View Post
    I've seen a few instances of iPad "viruses" being discussed on the Apple Discussion Boards. All of the said iPad "virus" cases I've seen have been quickly resolved with a system restore.
    That is totally incorrect. There have been no virus cases reported on iOS devices

Member #
    Ok, lets clear up some definitions here.

A "Virus" by definition is an executable piece of code that has the ability to self replicate to other devices, instantiate itself in memory and embed itself on a medium used by the infected device. This infection does not require any interaction from the user of the device to achieve any of the three criteria.

That means it is impossible for an iOS device to get a virus, under its current design. But what it can get is a Trojan.

A "Trojan" by definition is an executable piece of code that has the ability to deliver an infected payload to the device. This payload requires a series of overt actions by the user of the device in the form of downloading, installing and finally executing the application.

And to address the comment on OSX not needing antivirus, that simply makes me smile. OSX can get infected with a virus just as easily as Windows does. The only difference is, there isn't enough OSX users on the planet to make it worth a virus writers time to actually create one beyond proof of concept. That's right folks, OSX isn't worth the time or effort because simply put OSX is in use by less than 5% of all Personal Computer across the entire planet.

Hopefully that will clear up some misconceptions here.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I believe 'MacDefender' was the most recent malware threat to all Mac computers, it was produced in Russia, the threat has now been removed off the internet however.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Remove Ads

Ads