Transferring DVDs onto iPad using Windows

This is a discussion on Transferring DVDs onto iPad using Windows within the iPad forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; I have an iPad (4th generation) and I would like to load a few of my DVDs (real ones in a box - not downloaded!!) ...

Member #

Transferring DVDs onto iPad using Windows

I have an iPad (4th generation) and I would like to load a few of my DVDs (real ones in a box - not downloaded!!) onto it to watch on a long flight we have next month. I have iTunes on my PC which has a Windows 7 operating system. How do I transfer my DVDs into iTunes for transfer onto my iPad?

I am sure it must be simple but I have no idea how to do it! Any advice gratefully received - thanks in advance!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    It's not simple. First you have to digitize that movie then transfer it to a readable format for iPad/apple tv with Handbrake and transfer the result to iTunes. And if you're successful and that you have not run into a snag with DRM you upload it to iPad for viewing. The whole process takes several hours under an attentive, very attentive eye. After going through all that work there was no enjoyment In me left for watching the dang thing! :)

Another way of getting a movie to the iPad is through Filebrowser App from your PC or an external network attached storage Hard Disk. But getting your movies to your PC is just as tedious a process as the first option.

After doing it once I'll go the Apple way and just stream it live. The price of the rental is not worth the hassle.

And then you have to remember that movies are HUGE files. Do you have enough space on the iPad?
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Apple's iPad iTunes app does not allow you to buy a movie. Only to rent it and view it live at your convenience. Amazon has an app for iPad that allows movie purchasing and download. I have not tried it yet.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    I use Handbrake on my Mac quite a bit for ripping DVDs. It's reasonably intuitive, and has preset profiles for ripping to iPad compatible formats. It can't rip DVDs that are encrypted unfortunately, but it is free and does have a Windows version.

Find Handbrake downloads here : HandBrake

There is a pretty good Handbrake tutorial here : Handbrake Tutorial - How to Rip DVD and Convert Video with Handbrake on Windows PC
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    I use aimersoft DVD ripper, it's not free but it converts pretty much anything to any apple format. Works a treat and is pretty quick also. Look it up

Member #
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll give Handbrake a try (thank you for the link to the tutorial). Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and invest in aimersoft - thank you everyone

Remove Ads

Ads