iPhone 3GS to become free with the launch of iPhone 5

This is a discussion on iPhone 3GS to become free with the launch of iPhone 5 within the iPhone News forums, part of the Apple News category; Analyst with RBC Mike Abamsky states Apple will not release a cheap iPhone 4S this year. Contrary to popular rumors, the analyst presumes that the ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

iPhone 3GS to become free with the launch of iPhone 5

Analyst with RBC Mike Abamsky states Apple will not release a cheap iPhone 4S this year. Contrary to popular rumors, the analyst presumes that the company will make the iPhone 3GS free with a carrier contract. While there have been constant reports that Apple is planning to expand their iPhone front to stretch across a broader range of consumers, using the iPhone 3GS to accomplish that goal may not be the best idea. At this moment in time, there are many free phones on the market superior to the iPhone 3GS, many Android-based.

However, if Apple is indeed considering keeping the antiquated iPhone around for such a goal, it is surely not aimed at the technologically aware consumer. Let us not forget that many people simply want a good basic phone, not something sporting AirPlay, iCloud and other features that would be considered useless for them. For regular people, that know iPhones exist, but aren’t going to pay a lot to simply use the call/text function, the iPhone 3GS may prove tempting.

It remains to be seen, however, if Apple is willing to keep three separate iPhone versions. A 3 year old phone is a 3 year old phone, no matter how you look at it, but surely, if you’d give me a free one now I wouldn’t say no. Leaving jokes aside, Apple could make a real splash on the market if this crazy rumor turns out to be true. A free 3GS would be as big as a lite version if the iPhone 5 in terms of success. Two more months before the moment of truth.

By Radu Tyrsina
    Source: barrons.com

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Its nice when you get phones free but the thing about that is you end up paying twice as much as the phone costs with the contract and phone bills but you still save money from having to pay for the phone itself as well as in the past this has been the only option, but the 3gs and 4 if you pay enough in the uk atm you can get it free but i think is very expensive

Member #
    I'm happy with my Iphone 3GS. It works well with my having an Ipad2. Makes me a lot happier than the Samsung android I tried for 6 months and constantly lost my contacts. Love my iphone.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This might suit some people but I've never been a person for contracts and providers. That's why I bought the iPhone 4 outright here in the UK, I think it's a good idea, but you're right, it's an old phone and I doubt anyone will still want one, but it's just a rumour for now.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I think this might happen.
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Member #
    The BGR report claims that Apple will announce the next iPhone sometime in late August, and then handset will then go on sale in early September. The site has a decent track record in regards to Apple and iPhone related rumors, and has numerous contacts deep in the wireless industry.This very useful of information for alliPhone 5 Release Date

Remove Ads

Ads