Repair lock button iphone 5 dilemma

This is a discussion on Repair lock button iphone 5 dilemma within the iPhone forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; Hi! I'm in a little pickle here. So my lock button started to stop working a couple of weeks ago. That is I have to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grandeball

Thread: Repair lock button iphone 5 dilemma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Repair lock button iphone 5 dilemma

Hi! I'm in a little pickle here.
    So my lock button started to stop working a couple of weeks ago. That is I have to press it 3-4 times for it to work. Luckily for me my phone is jailbroken
    so I used activator to make holding down the home button the new lock button(replacing siri). This works fine and all but when I got back from vacation I
    wanted to bring it to the apple store to see if this falls under warranty. The phone is abut 1.5 years old and I have dropped it a couple of times but doubt that is
    related since this happened long after. The "guinius" also said that this could have something to do with the jailbreak. I'm no expert but is that even possible? I know you can disable and do other stuff, but this is clearly a hw fault since it's working every 5 time or so.

So my problem is, I have to restore the phone to get it checked out, apparently you can't restore without updating(to 7.1.1) which there is no jb for. So if I do this I might end up with a unjailbreakable phone and no working lock button if they decide it's not a warranty issue. I'm not paying them to fix it.

So does anyone have a good solution for my problem? either a way to restore it without jb. Or can assure me whether r not it's any point asking them. Will they just say "you have a scratch here so it's your fault"? Also I can't remember from last time can you jailbreak without putting you phone in DFU mode. Since it's no chance my lock button will help me with that.

I'm currently on iOS 7.0.4

Thank a lot!
    valiant007 likes this.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I do know that iPhone 5's have a known issue with the buttons going bad...

It still could be a jailbreak problem, but I don't know...

You can try this for a fix IF your button is defective...

Go to Settings, General and then scroll down to Accessibility. Under Physical & Motor, click AssistiveTouch, and then slide AssistiveTouch into the ON position.

A small circle inside a square will appear on your screen; this can be dragged around the screen to wherever you find it least disruptive. It will become opaque when pressed, then turn transparent a short while later.

If you press this circle it will offer you Voice Control, Home and Favourites options (Favorites allows you to save specific gestures and commands). You can also select Device, which takes you through to further options such as volume controls.

The 'dot' on your screen can be a little irritating, granted, but it may well be preferable to either shelling out for a costly repair or coping without a fully functional Home button.
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I know about this function, but I find activator a lot easier, since I never use siri it's better to just use long hold home button to lock. I'm guessing apple will never give us that much freedom any time soon, to pretty much assign any gesture to a specific function. I also use ccpanel to add a restart button to control panel. It's just take some time to get used to, I always end up pressing the damn button for ages before realising that I can use the home button.

But thanks anyways:)

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Hey, it was worth the try...
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Remove Ads

Ads