Problems with iPhone backup encryption

This is a discussion on Problems with iPhone backup encryption within the iPhone forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; Originally Posted by strabo231 There are several ways. If you don't have anything on the phone you care about a backup for, just restore the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strabo231 View Post
    There are several ways. If you don't have anything on the phone you care about a backup for, just restore the phone, and then choose the option to set it up as a new device both in the phone setup, and when you connect to itunes. Then when you are viewing the iphone info on itunes, go down to the bottom and make sure the backup encryption option is unchecked. Now you can backup your phone and you will have no encrypted backup.

If you have items on the phone you need to have an itunes backup for:

Backup your phone to icloud, then continue with the process above. When your finished simply restore your icloud backup.

Keep in mind since IOS 9, itunes no longer backs up apps to your pc, so if that is all you are using the itunes backup to your pc for, you need to switch to icloud anyway.

The process I used was completed with IOS 9.2. I can't imagine it having changed since IOS 9.2.1, but I have not tested it.
    Thanks for the information!

2. Ads

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by J. A. View Post
    Thanks for the information!
    If you have success with it on one of the newer updates, please remember to come back and post results!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strabo231 View Post
    If you have success with it on one of the newer updates, please remember to come back and post results!
    I was just curious how you managed it. I don't jailbreak my iDevices, and my iOS is always up to date or on Public Beta. Besides, I'm backing up to iCloud (from which I told you in my first reply that backups are encrypted).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by J. A. View Post
    I was just curious how you managed it. I don't jailbreak my iDevices, and my iOS is always up to date or on Public Beta. Besides, I'm backing up to iCloud (from which I told you in my first reply that backups are encrypted).
    iCloud backups are not encrypted in the same manner as the encrypted backup through iTunes. This is why Apple suggests wiping the phone and restoring an iCloud backup to remove the encrypted backup option in iTunes should you lose your password. That part of the process has nothing to do with a jailbreak, and a jailbreak has nothing to do with why it works. The phone was totally stock and had never been jailbroken during that process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads