Problems with iPhone backup encryption

This is a discussion on Problems with iPhone backup encryption within the iPhone forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; Here's my situtation: Neighbor wants me to jailbreak his iphone 6S+ on 9.0.2 so that he can install XBMC. I'm prompted by Pangu to turn ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Problems with iPhone backup encryption

Here's my situtation:

Neighbor wants me to jailbreak his iphone 6S+ on 9.0.2 so that he can install XBMC. I'm prompted by Pangu to turn off backup encryption, and then prompted for a password. When he enters in what he says he's 100% sure is his itunes password, it prompts password incorrect. Now I did log out of my itunes account on my PC, and then had him log into his...which worked fine. He says he does not remember creating a different password, or remeber being asked to create one for backup encryption. Now, this is my neighbor, and has been for over 10 years, Just to be sure everything is Kosher, I did go ahead and verify off his account that it is infact his phone, and that the IMEI and such was clean, so we're all good there. He was able to log into itunes, and turn off "find my iphone" with no problem, so unless it's some kind of internet connection error or something along those lines, which I doubt, then it's definitely a different password.

Now I have done some research into it, and so far the best answer I can come up with is to setup the device as a new device in iTunes, and then do a restore; however, I know he's not going to want to restore and wipe his phone.

So my question is, what working option is available to correct the problem without wiping the phone? I have been jailbreaking, rooting, restoring, etc for about 10 years, so I do fully understand the processes. I do not own an apple product however, so I'm a little bit out of my element in terms of which direction to go here. Thank you for any guidance you can offer. I have searched through several forums, but so far haven't had any luck finding a solution that didn't involve restoring the phone.

Oh one more thing...I also remember reading that the backup encryption password isn't one that can be reset through "forgot my password" means, or through apple. Is this correct?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    That's correct.

If your neighbour can't remember the encryption password, jailbreaking or anything else won't help. The only solutions is to set it up as new and erase and restore it, which will update the iPhone to iOS 9.2. There's no jailbreak for the current software.

The password for the encryption is not the password for the iTunes account - except if he used it there too.

Before restoring his iPhone, he should backup his device to iCloud. These backups are encrypted automatically, and after erasing everything, he can use that backup to restore from, so he won't lose every information stored on his iPhone so far.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by J. A. View Post
    That's correct.

If your neighbour can't remember the encryption password, jailbreaking or anything else won't help. The only solutions is to set it up as new and erase and restore it, which will update the iPhone to iOS 9.2. There's no jailbreak for the current software.

The password for the encryption is not the password for the iTunes account - except if he used it there too.

Before restoring his iPhone, he should backup his device to iCloud. These backups are encrypted automatically, and after erasing everything, he can use that backup to restore from, so he won't lose every information stored on his iPhone so far.
    No the jailbreak isn't to try to fix the problem. I was just trying to see if there was a way to get the encyption off without wiping the phone. He's wanting a jailbreak, but I can't do it until I get the encryption turned off. It was looking like he wasn't getting around a restore...just wanted to double check.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strabo231 View Post
    No the jailbreak isn't to try to fix the problem. I was just trying to see if there was a way to get the encyption off without wiping the phone. He's wanting a jailbreak, but I can't do it until I get the encryption turned off. It was looking like he wasn't getting around a restore...just wanted to double check.
    Sorry, I must have used the wrong words. I did understand that he wants a jailbreak. I only tried to explain that this won't be possible any more after erasing.

Member #
    Sorry, I must have used the wrong words. I did understand that he wants a jailbreak. I only tried to explain that this won't be possible any more after erasing.
    I got a PM from someone saying that the icloud backups will still work, so my plan is to make sure he has a current icloud backup, restore the phone with the 9.0.2 IPSW, set it up as a new device in itunes and turn the backup encryption option off before itunes syncs, restore the icloud backup, and then jailbreak the phone. He's still on 9.0.2 so this should all work as long as its correct that the icloud backups will still restore successfully. I'm supposed to be meeting back up with him in the morning, and then I'll come back and post results after it's all completed.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Really hope you don't end up with a very expensive paper weight....not something I would try with my iPhone
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Agreed. The procedure sounds complicated. Tbh, I don't think it'll work.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    Really hope you don't end up with a very expensive paper weight....not something I would try with my iPhone
    I'm not really sure what part in the procedure had everyone thinking I was going to brick the phone, I've done literally hundreds of jailbreaks and roots to androids. I've been through all the old downgrades and baseband upgrade downgrades. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether or not the icloud backup would fail because of the backup encryption being turned on...but it worked fine....I just kept forgetting to come back and post about it.

All I had to do was:

Erase old icloud backup to make room
    Create new icloud backup
    Erase everything from phone (This part from settings, not using itunes!)
    Restore icloud backup
    Erased itunes backup from pc (it was all already on the phone anyway)
    Set up as new device in itunes, then turn off the backup encryption option before backing up with itunes
    Then I jailbroke the phone

Again, the original issue was that pangu would not run the process until i could get the backup encryption option turned off. My neighbor could not remember even turning the option on, so didn't remember password, and it was different from his itunes password. I read that at that point the only way to remove the option was to restore the phone, and I was trying to do so without having to update, and also without losing data from phone. Unfortunately now that the 9.0.2 signing window is closed, it's not as simple as just doing a full restore....it has to be updated, and there is no jailbreak currently for 9.2/9.2.1/9.3
    Last edited by strabo231; 02-04-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    The password is required when you want to turn off backup encryption in iTunes, that's the reason why I thought it wouldn't work.
    How was it possible to turn off the encryption without the password?

Member #
    The password is required when you want to turn off backup encryption in iTunes, that's the reason why I thought it wouldn't work.
    How was it possible to turn off the encryption without the password?
    There are several ways. If you don't have anything on the phone you care about a backup for, just restore the phone, and then choose the option to set it up as a new device both in the phone setup, and when you connect to itunes. Then when you are viewing the iphone info on itunes, go down to the bottom and make sure the backup encryption option is unchecked. Now you can backup your phone and you will have no encrypted backup.

If you have items on the phone you need to have an itunes backup for:

Backup your phone to icloud, then continue with the process above. When your finished simply restore your icloud backup.

Keep in mind since IOS 9, itunes no longer backs up apps to your pc, so if that is all you are using the itunes backup to your pc for, you need to switch to icloud anyway.

The process I used was completed with IOS 9.2. I can't imagine it having changed since IOS 9.2.1, but I have not tested it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads