Iphone error message with Gmail

This is a discussion on Iphone error message with Gmail within the iPhone forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; New iphone owner and a bit frustrated. Hope someone can help. This is the message I get when I try to get my Gmail. The ...

Member #

Question Iphone error message with Gmail

New iphone owner and a bit frustrated. Hope someone can help.

This is the message I get when I try to get my Gmail. The inability to access my mail has also stopped my Google calendar from syncing. It had been working perfectly and now it appears to be "broken".

Cannot Get Mail.
    The user name or password for "gmail" is incorrect.

This happened yesterday and it fixed itself this morning after I spent hours scouring the internet looking for a solution. Thought all was well and it stopped working again this afternoon. I have a Hotmail account as well as a Cox account and both are fine. The Gmail password IS definitely correct. I checked it several times. Mail worked this morning and nothing has been changed.

I spoke to a tech at the Verizon store and he said this has happened to him too.. several times.. and it always fixes itself. Was wondering if he was just trying to make me feel better? He also said he tried to help a gal with the same problem and he could not fix it and her settings were all correct. She had to wait it out. I don't need Gmail for mail necessarily, I use it as a link for my Google calendar and contacts which were originally set up when I had a Droid.

Has this happened to any of the other forum members? Does Google acknowledge the problem? I'm tempted to try to bring all my contacts and calendar into Windows Live but they could have issues too for all I know.

Thanks for your input.

2. Ads

10 blocks from where the plane crashed in Nov. 2001
    Member #
    I use gmail as well but I have AT&T. It should not happen. It does not matter if it corrects itself, it should not happen. There might be something wrong with the hardware (your iPhone itself). you took the phone to the store and the person who does the repairs gave you the line that it happens to him too? He does not want to bother with your issue. How long have you had that phone. I would go back and complain that the phone is defective. Is there an apple store near you. when I got my phone, I bought it at an apple store and got an apple protection plan with it. NOTHING beats having an apple care protection plan. Apple would not send you back saying "gee, it happens to me too"
    good luck

Member #
    Thank you for your reply. I've done a little more research and find that I am not alone with this gmail issue. There are several possible solutions cited, but the few I tried did not work. Several people stated their mail came back after following the different solutions, but I am still thinking it's a coincidence and it would have come back anyway. I did nothing to my phone this morning - gmail just started working again. And then it stopped - just as suddenly. I will, however, follow your suggestion to talk to the folks at the Apple store and report back here.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    That's a weird problem I have never come across when using Gmail! Looks like Apple have another bug to fix, they are rivals with Google however ^.^
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    No solution or resolution, but a work around. The Gmail link still comes and goes. But since I don't use gmail for mail, but rather it was set up on my Droid originally as the portal for my contacts and calendar, I just took out gmail mail sync from the Gmail exchange setup and I am not bothered by the constant error message. I still can sync my gmail calendar and contacts. (I have gmail set up to forward calendar reminders to my hotmail account which is the one I use 99.5% of the time - and that still works fine)

Remove Ads

Ads