Iphone charger

This is a discussion on Iphone charger within the iPhone forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; I have several chargers from my old Droid that will allow me to plug in an apple charger USB cable into its USB port. But ...

Thread: Iphone charger

Member #

Question Iphone charger

I have several chargers from my old Droid that will allow me to plug in an apple charger USB cable into its USB port. But sometimes this combination will not charge. For example, if I put the iphone on the Droid charger/ iphone cable when the iphone is 96% charged, it won't charge. If I put the same iphone on an official iphone charger, it charges. I can't figure out if it's the outlet, the charger, the USB cable or the phone. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to volts, amps etc. I would like to reuse the Droid chargers if possible, but I certainly don't want to fry my new iphone.

Is there something special about the iphone charger? I bought some cheapie iphone car chargers on the internet and none of the worked.. either on my iphone, my grandkid's itouches or my daughter's ipad. Appreciate any thoughts on chargers.

2. Ads

Member #
    I'll answer my own question. According to salesman at Verizon, I could use my old Droid charger with my iphone if I used the appropriate USB cable. According to the salesman at the Apple Store.. it's a BIG NO NO. I checked the voltage of the Droid charger and it's 5.1 V. The Apple charger is 5 V. Not an expert at these things, I'll assume the Apple salesman knows more than I do! So short answer.. they're not interchangeable according to Apple.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    It could possibly be that the outlet does not have enough power(due to the presence of other electronic devices that are plugged in) to charge your iPhone.
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Member #

Could it be the outlet?

I thought about that. Initially, I had it plugged it into a power strip. But the same thing happened when I plugged it directly into the wall. I had two such Droid chargers and two different cables and swapped them out, trying every combination, but the result was the same. The phone would not charge completely to 100% if it was almost fully charged. It did not seem to matter if the phone was almost dead. I don't recall having the problem during the prior week when I was using this charger exclusively.

Concerned about frying my iphone with a 5.1V charger, I bought one with the Apple Iphone compatible logo. It works perfectly in the power strip. Perhaps there are other factors involved that I did not figure in, but for lack of an answer, I'll use only iphone designated chargers.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I don't think you should be mixing two different devices with possible different voltages together. You could decrease the battery life a lot, maybe you should just use the official iPhone chargers, there's nothing wrong with it.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Remove Ads

Ads