Recover Data?

This is a discussion on Recover Data? within the iPod Touch forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; My 12 year old daughter has a 5th generation Ipod Touch which will not start, dead as a doornail, less than a year old. Battery ...

Thread: Recover Data?

Member #

Recover Data?

My 12 year old daughter has a 5th generation Ipod Touch which will not start, dead as a doornail, less than a year old. Battery is charged, or at least was hooked to a charger overnight, no response. She took it overseas and when she came home this happened. Now all the photos and videos are lost as she had nothing to back it up to while she was traveling. Apple informed me that they cannot retrieve the data. As a 30 year IT professional I cannot believe this can be true, I can run over my Samsung phone and all is well! Does anyone know of a service which recovers data from dead apple devices? Sounds like it would be a good niche business! Thanks.

Ken Lee

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I started in IT in the mid 60's. If I've learned anything it is everything in this arena is vulnerable, including Apple products.

Perhaps I'm wrong but my guess is while in Europe the device was plugged in and the different current zapped the device. I suggest that you contact Apple and explain the situation. If you purchased the device at a different retailer they may be willing to work with you.

Mike

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I started in IT in the mid 60's. If I've learned anything it is everything in this arena is vulnerable, including Apple products.

Perhaps I'm wrong but my guess is while in Europe the device was plugged in and the different current zapped the device. I suggest that you contact Apple and explain the situation. If you purchased the device at a different retailer they may be willing to work with you.

Mike
    Thanks, but it worked after she returned here. Partly my fault as I was unaware of this basic vulnerability of Apple products. I do agree that anything breaks but this situation to me is pretty disappointing. The lack of removable storage, which eliminates this kind of issue, shows me that Apple is more concerned with fencing users in to their ecosystem (generating additional revenue) than it is with customer satisfaction. This was my first purchase of an Apple product and while it was slick when it worked, for $300 it was a very poor investment.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krlcon View Post
    Thanks, but it worked after she returned here. Partly my fault as I was unaware of this basic vulnerability of Apple products. I do agree that anything breaks but this situation to me is pretty disappointing. The lack of removable storage, which eliminates this kind of issue, shows me that Apple is more concerned with fencing users in to their ecosystem (generating additional revenue) than it is with customer satisfaction. This was my first purchase of an Apple product and while it was slick when it worked, for $300 it was a very poor investment.
    I find it interesting that you say "you were unaware of the basic vulnerability of Apple products." Perhaps I'm wrong but when I directed IT, at a major Big Ten University, the PC world was very susceptible. Yet, the areas that ran Mac's were not!

Every Apple product I've owned restricts my access to the battery! As I wrote in my initial reply, every product made is susceptible to failure, including the human body!

Members here may be sympathetic but we are unable to help or resolve your concern. You need to contact Apple.

In closing, I will tell you my son just purchased a Samsung Galaxy 5S. It is a failure! He worked with Verizon to resolve.

Good luck!

Mike

Member #
    Hi Mike,

I have no interest in initiating a discussion as to the relative merits of companies here, that was not my intention. What I said exactly was "I was unaware of this basic vulnerability". I was referring specifically to the fact that I was unaware of and not paying attention to the fact that everything is lost if the device fails. If my PC or Notebook OS becomes corrupted I can recover the data quite easily, that is what I meant. I take that as sort of a given. Apple hangs it's hat on reliability and how bulletproof it is and I had no reason to think otherwise. I trusted Apple to make a product that would live up to their reputation. That's not a knock on them, it's just the logic I used to shell out over $300 for a 12 year old!

I was stunned when I called my local Apple dealer and they told me that they don't even TRY to recover the data. He asked why I didn't back it up to the iCloud as if I should have known that. Maybe I missed the cautionary statement in the box :-) I'm man enough to admit I should have researched everything better and spent another 40 to 100 for iCloud space (I bought a 32GB device), and should have backed it up as soon as she came home. My experience with these little devices is not extensive, but I thought that the internal storage was a little more reliable. After all, these are marketed to children :-) My bad, as they say.

So the reason I was reaching out to all of you who are much more knowledgeable about Apple products than I was that I am pretty sure this has happened to other folks and I was really hoping that I could send it somewhere to see if the data could be recovered. This is not about Apple or money, it is about trying to help my child. I would happily pay what it would cost to recover the pictures and movies of her grandparents in Russia. Apple support only chastised me for being stupid and offered to sell me another one. I didn't dislike the device, just the experience. Sadder and wiser I probably will replace it for her as it did work well for a period of time, maybe we just got a bad one. But if anyone has heard of such a service I would be very grateful to hear about it. Hope that clarifies things.

Thanks,

Ken

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It is unfortunate you had this happen but with respect there are several ways to transfer data for backup while traveling. I have hundreds of clients and customers traveling and or using there iPods, iPads, and phones for taking photos. It is a simple case by using a cloud service or a mobile wifi storage device if you cannot afford to loose them. Further more any mobile device can be stolen. The failure rate of iOS devices is so small it is not funny. The most common loss is the item is stolen

col.bris
    Administrator

Member #
    It was a 12 year old girl traveling with her non-technical mother. There are no Optimum hotspots in Central Russia and even though I sent them with a router they were never able to get Wifi working at all.

I have bought two Ipod Touches. One was lost (or stolen), the second died in less than 1 year. It was not funny.

If anyone has useful information to help me I would be thankful.

Ken

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    With respect you never mentioned that it was Russia and she was travelling with her non technical mother yes you would have issues with access to wifi. Try this site no guarantee but at least they may assist Leawo iOS Data Recovery ? Best iPod/iPad/iPhone data recovery software to recover data from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Regards Colin

Member #
    It is easy to recover lost data from an iPod touch with TunesKit iPhone Data Recovery. Iis a powerful tool which is able to retrieve up to 20 kinds of data on your iOS devices, including photos, videos, calendars, notes, voice memos, WhatsApp messages, iMessages, etc. It is also highly rated due to its full compatibility to a wide range of iOS devices, such as iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, All Models of iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad, iPod touch 5 and iPod touch 4. You'll get back all the missing data to your iOS devices following these 3 steps: choose data recovery mode, scan and preview the lost data, select and recover the desired files.
    Last edited by jhoagqw; 09-30-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Remove Ads

Ads