IPod Touch Computer

This is a discussion on IPod Touch Computer within the iPod Touch forums, part of the iPod, iPhone, iPad Forum category; When do you think the iPod Touch will be capable of being your only computer? I think it might already have happened. The iPad can ...

Member #

IPod Touch Computer

When do you think the iPod Touch will be capable of being your only computer? I think it might already have happened.

The iPad can be one's personal computer with iOS 5. It can run the iWork suite and the iLife suite. So can the iPod Touch (mostly). Files can be stored using Dropbox or some other data storage location. With the iCloud it could also keep data there. That includes one-thousand photos. Picasa could hold movies too.

If there is a Filezilla version for iOS 5 then just about everything could be done using an iPod Touch since there are versions of iPad programs for the iPod Touch too.

The only Apple product I own is a Mac Book from 2008. I've never owned an iPod or any type of digital portable music player. This year I want to get an iPod Touch and see just how far I can take it as a mobile computer. Does anybody here know of someone who has maximized the capabilities of an iPod Touch as a portable computer?

I really wish Apple would create a version of Garage Band for the iPod Touch. That would make me very happy.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Very interesting concept. ive never thought of it like that
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    well, when my ipod touch was my only device i tethered off of my fathers phone and basically had 3G, i also did alot of web browsing for education purposes. so i guess you could say i maximized my ipods capabilities. hope the helps!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I suppose, if you could get around that small screen.
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Invest in the iPad, but whatever floats your boat!:)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iJasonTATE View Post
    Invest in the iPad, but whatever floats your boat!:)
    Yeah that can be a replacement laptop in a way and much better with the big screen!
    iPhone 4 16GB Black

Member #
    You're right that the iPad would be a better computer than an iPod Touch because of its size. Doing things on the iPad would be much easier in some ways. The thing that intrigues me is that potential of having a small computer within one's pocket that can do anything you need it to do.

Just yesterday I saw a video story about gadgets related to phones. It showed two different keyboards that can connect to iPhones and iPod Touches. One placed the iPod in a dock that centered it in front of the keys and the other had a dock that was in the position beside the numeric key pad. In that one the iPhone laid down flat in the same plane as the keyboard. I'm not sure which one I'd choose. Both of them recharged the iPhone while docked. Such a keyboard will definitely be on my list of things to buy when I get my iPod Touch.

Right now I use Dropbox to share files between two computers and three operating systems. I know there is a version for the iPhone too. Today in a video from the same show that showed those two different keyboards, they showed several places where free online storage is offered. Many internet service providers give people a couple of gigabytes and some other services like Dropbox and Box.net give five free gigabytes, Microsoft has a service that gives people twenty-five gigabytes of free storage. I went to the site and didn't find where it said that amount or any amount. The news story said twenty-five gigabytes. If you've already got a Hotmail or Live account then you already have an account.

My first computer in 2001 had a hard drive capacity of just forty gigabytes and about ten of them were for the operating system. It took me six years to get up to twenty-five gigabytes of storage on it. My 2008 Mac Book has those files plus another forty gigabytes. It seems that I could live without having a gigantic hard drive since I don't store many videos or movies.

The iPod Touch would be a computing medium for me more than a music or video player. It would be my portable gateway to the internet that would also allow me to update web sites with text and features. Wordpress and other web site platforms don't require FTP once the site is set up. An iPod Touch should be able to do anything my Mac Book can do in that regard.

I was hoping that somebody out there would find this post via a search engine or as a forum member and let me know that they're already doing this. If nobody does then I'll have to post all of my experiences using an iPod Touch for my computer needs.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well the iPod would be basically a portable computer you can keep in your pocket, but until it has 3G capabilities, it's only source of connecting to YouTube/Internet/Dropbox is through a WiFi. That can be a nuisance when in areas without fee WiFi access or when you're on the move.

You can connect keyboards to the iPod, and in your own home it can be very useful as long as you have the dock, however if you're a student or a person who takes their "computer" or iPod out and about a lot, carrying a dock and keyboard wouldn't be smart or easy, not to mention batteries etc. Because the iPod has a small screen and therefore a small keyboard, if you were to turn an iPod into your computer you would need a full size proper keyboard. Unfortunately this can't be done (yet).

I agree the iPod may be a good replacement to a computer, but with a better processing power, bigger screen and practicality, the iPad seems to be the better option. The iPad was meant to be the Notebook killer, and it's working. My MacBook isn't so good anymore, it's slow and parts are breaking down and are need of replacement, but it costs too much to maintain. That's why I plan on getting an iPad to replace my MacBook. It's smaller, does the same as what my MacBook could do and has lots of apps and tools to help me as I'm a student myself.

People may already be doing this, and I'd love to hear from someone who is to see how well they can actually utilise it.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black

Remove Ads

Ads