Need help inputting sound via SP/DIF

This is a discussion on Need help inputting sound via SP/DIF within the Mac Audio forums, part of the Mac Applications category; Since I am unsure if this is a software or a hardware issue, I am posting this also under Mac Forum>iMac. Simplified version: I have ...

Member #

Question Need help inputting sound via SP/DIF

Since I am unsure if this is a software or a hardware issue, I am posting this also under Mac Forum>iMac.

Simplified version: I have a DVD player connected to the SP/DIF (toslink) input on my iMac where I am trying to record the audio. Under system preferences>audio, the device is not listed. But when I select the generic digital audio input, the sound bar lights up, telling me sound is being input. But there is no sound from the speakers. I assume if I can hear the sound, I can record it (using Audacity).

Details: This is an older DVD recorder with hard drive (Panasonic DMR-E85) on which resides my music collection (with no video recorded). I want to record my collection to FLAC files to play via USB input. Because the Panasonic uses proprietary recording methods, I have to play back each title in real time while recording.

I talked with Applecare, and they said I need another box between the DVD player and the computer. My escalated tech support person spoke with the Garageband people, and she said they said I need an M-Box. But when I review that site, it does not appear to be what I need.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads