Thunderbolt/Displayport problem

This is a discussion on Thunderbolt/Displayport problem within the Mac Mini forums, part of the Mac Forum category; Hello to all, I'm new here. My name is Tom. This looks like a great place for Mac conversations! I am relatively new to the ...

Member #

Thunderbolt/Displayport problem

Hello to all, I'm new here. My name is Tom. This looks like a great place for Mac conversations!

I am relatively new to the Mac world, I have a late 2012 mini, i7, 16gb ram that I have owned for almost 4 years. I have been very happy with it, but I have hit a snag with the
    display recently. The display is a 27" Asus, 2560 x 1440. I'm using a Thunderbolt to Displayport cable. This has served me well for almost a year with no problems. Lately there has
    been a problem with the monitor and computer connecting, blank screen with message 'displayport no signal'. I found that if I powered up the monitor just before powering up the
    computer, it would work just fine. However, if the computer went to sleep, the connection was lost and I needed to restart both.

The progression now is, it won't work unless it's connected via HDMI cable, which means I'm limited to 1920 x 1080. No good.

I have fooled around in the display settings, trying to figure it out, but now it's time for help.

I'm hoping that someone here can help me see what's going on.

Thanks for listening.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Hi Tom, and welcome to the forums.

The fact that the display is working with a HDMI cable implies that the problem is lying with either your thunderbolt-display port cable, the thunderbolt port on the Mac, or the display port on the display itself. Do you have another thunderbolt cable you could try? How about another display with a display port connection?

Diagnosing these problems is all about swapping different components in and out until you narrow down the culprit.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    Thanks for the response, JezzerP. Trying another cable sounds like good advice. That's what I'll do next.

I was wondering if there was a setting that would correct this problem, I didn't even think about a cable failure. But I did
    consider a possible hardware failure, I hope not.

I appreciate your input.

Remove Ads

Ads