Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility?

This is a discussion on Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility? within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; I just want to add a note of agreement to the use of TM with an Apple Time Capsule. As well, I use a separate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    I just want to add a note of agreement to the use of TM with an Apple Time Capsule. As well, I use a separate backup.

I use a TM, although I've never had to recover anything. The cost of an external hard drive was low enough I decided it would be an economical way to do a clone backup. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and am quite pleased with the simplicity of use. The advantage to the TM is that it functions in the background. For the external hard drive, I have to set it up and make the copy. It is simple though, with just a few clicks required to accomplish the task.
    MikeeW
    Leyte, Philippines
    MacBook Pro i7
    OSX 10.7.3
    Time Capsule

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Thanks to a helping angel on this forum I made a bootable copy of Lion using super duper just after I installed Lion, and now I have TM set up and intend to run that weekly. Is this enough if the worst happens....😳
    iPhone 5 
    iPad Air 2 ❤
    iMac 21.5

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Macette View Post
    ... and now I have TM set up and intend to run that weekly. Is this enough if the worst happens....
    The beauty of TM running all the time and doing an hourly back-up, is that it's a set-it-and-forget-it back-up process, you don't have to remember to click any buttons. Most of the time, the hourly back-up will be very small, a few tens of KB at most if you haven't used the Mac that much, so you don't have to worry about them taking up space. TM is also supposed to erase older back-ups as the drive fills up anyway. I really would recommend using TM as it's intended if physically possible.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    The beauty of TM running all the time and doing an hourly back-up, is that it's a set-it-and-forget-it back-up process, you don't have to remember to click any buttons. Most of the time, the hourly back-up will be very small, a few tens of KB at most if you haven't used the Mac that much, so you don't have to worry about them taking up space. TM is also supposed to erase older back-ups as the drive fills up anyway. I really would recommend using TM as it's intended if physically possible.
    I will probably come round to that way of thinking Jezz but I will have to invest in a bigger external some time soon . But it's nice to have it up and running, I do feel better lol.
    iPhone 5 
    iPad Air 2 ❤
    iMac 21.5

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.bris View Post
    I use and recommend for my clients a combination of both time Machine and Super duper. The only need with Time machine is to use a much larger hard drive than the source drive. If you have a 1tb HD use at least 2tb as the backup is incremental . One can always start over again if required. You may ask why I use Super duper as well...... It is about security of data.
    I use for a small business solution 3 drives all up.
    1) using the above with time machine permanently connected to the computer.
    2) 1tb second drive color coded red.
    3) 1tb third drive color coded yellow

I set up Superduper to back up Red Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Back up Yellow Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.I also recommend taking theses drives off site or at least put them in a place where they cannot be found. This protection covers the user from total loss of hardware ie stolen or destroyed by water or what ever as well as theft. It also means one can take any drive to another computer of same OS and continue working. All drives are FireWire 800 with 400 firewire adapters if needed. Hope this helps.

Ps Super duper is the. Best. With out question.... Easy to use and very reliable.

Rule number one.. Ask yourself what would it cost to replace all your data plus down time if the worst thing happened. Then go buy the drives spend a bit of time implementing the back up procedures and relax.
    ok
    Back up..... back up..... back up
    I'll second that, Super Duper has been my weapon of choice since the good old days of OSX Tiger, I wouldn't be without it. Time Machine is my secondary line of defence.

The Archangel
    The Archangel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads