Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility?

This is a discussion on Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility? within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility? Hello, I am a relatively "new" Mac owner/user, coming from many years of using, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Red face Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility?

Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility?

Hello,

I am a relatively "new" Mac owner/user, coming from many years of using, (and still do),

Windows based computer systems.

My current internal hard drive partition configuration is as follows:

1.) Mac OS-X Lion

2.) Mac OS-X Snow Leopard (for the programs that won't run under Lion).

3.) Windows 7

My initial questions are regarding and resolving around (back-up) methods, preferences,

Pros & Cons of each?

I know that the built-in Apple/Mac software choices are:

1.) Disk Utility - to create (DMG) Images

2.) Time Machine (still learning, need more knowledge about this).

The third (3rd) party offerings, that I'm familiar with and have used are:

1.) SuperDuper

2.) Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

Ok, basically, as I am still very new to the "World of Apple/Mac" (sounds like a book title) -

:-) , which back-up program (scheme, so to speak), covers the most efficient, and most

proficient method do you use and why, or not use and why not?

I'm not actually looking for praising on product over the other, or "cutting down/disproving),

any other, I just wanted to see if I can receive "fast" (relatively simple, but concise advice,

tips, and/or suggestions, as to the most chosen program to use?

I know it's generally speaking, a "personal" choice.

I've already succeeded - in backing-up my Windows 7 OS system partition - using

"WinClone" successfully, to back-up (from within the Mac OS-X environment), with great

results creating the WinClone image.

I was thinking, (wondering actually) - Does Time Machine create bootable back-ups

("capturing" BOTH of the Mac OS-X systems, together?

Meaning: If I use Time Machine and allow it to "Automatically" run as IT SEES the

necessity to do so, will that produce the overall safest entire (hard drive) including BOTH

partitions, and hence therefore: Includes BOTH - Mac operating systems, during the entire

Time Machine back-up operation?

Whew! I know, that's a lot to read through...

Please make comments, tips, advice, and/or suggestions?

Thank-You for reading and your contributions.

Have a nice day/evening,

Ed
    Last edited by ELSELS; 11-08-2011 at 06:58 PM.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Personally, I prefer time machine.. Not just because it is Apple...

The way I see it, time machine won't back up external hard drives...

I do believe it will copy anything, or back up, if you have portioned your hard drive.
    Again, 3 paritions, = backs up them....

Here's a great site, that will also tell you just about everything you will probably want to know...

Mac 101: Time Machine
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Hello sparkyscott21:

Thanks for your help! Well, I have things to "report", and few more questions...?

Ok, I started TM (I am learning the abbreviations), as I go along - I enjoy the success when things work right/well..

It ran its course, and I learned (at least it appears to be showing) - that is did in fact BACK-UP, BOTH of the Mac OS-X partitions/systems.

(It totaled to around almost 53 GB worth of data, for the two (2) partitions.)

This is great, what I wanted to see if it would do for me, and it appears it has done so.

I am now, just going to "need to learn" - what these back-up have done for me, meaning, what advantage the back-ups are for?

While I am learning, little-by-little, it is always great to come here to the forum, for the "LIVE" chat type help... Thanks again!

It did not back-up the (3rd partition), the Windows 7, although I already backed it up using: "WinClone".

I couldn't see any PLACE within the TM preferences to SELECT that partition to be included, in the back-up?

I see where it SHOWS that TM will NOT BACK IT UP, along with NOT backing up the external drive, but that's Ok, as I
    am storing the back-ups there..

The only real other main (important) for me, question is: Why does it show, after completing, that it shows the NEXT TM
    back-up scheduled within ONE hour after it finished?

Is it going to back-up constantly, every single hour on the hour, while the computer is being use, turned on?

(.. And if so, will it have to go all through the SAME huge file back-up every time? - Or does it ONLY back-up, if
    say I create a Word document or things that change?) What about if Software Update, downloads and installs new data?)

Any other advice..? Tips?

Thanks for your help..

Ed

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I know this works for the Time Machine that was just discontinued, however, it may also apply to the Time Machine 2.. Not 100% positive.

Go to User Name>Library>Preferences. Locate the Time Machine preference file (a file with the word TimeMachine as part of the name). Open it in TextEdit. Look for the number 3600. This is the amount of seconds for the backup to start. The default setting is 1 hour, which translates to 3600 seconds. If you want to change it to each day or week just change the number (in seconds) that's equivalent to the amount of time you want. Save it and that's it.

PS: If you want to make a backup of that file first before changing it you can do that. Copy and paste that file onto the desktop and should you make an error or decided to go back you can always put the original file back.

Also another excellent place is this Apple site as well..: http://www.apple.com/support/timemachine/

If that fails, try this:
    You can turn off TM in system preferences and choose "run back up now " from the menu bar when you want to back up.

Also, it does not back up everything each time it is backing up.

It only backs up changes to files apps, and so on, and thus, it runs much,much shorter time than the first time you do it...

I will p.m. you with a little more something..
    Last edited by sparkyscott21; 11-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Also worth noting:

Make a full backup of your hard disk and all of its data (including your Boot Camp partition, which is not normally backed up by Time Machine), then erase your hard disk and create a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition.

Reinstall Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, or Lion, then re-download the OS X Lion installer from the Mac App Store and retry your install.

If you use Boot Camp, you can run Boot Camp Assistant after installing OS X Lion to create a new Boot Camp partition, then restore the data from the backup you made of your previous Boot Camp partition.

You can also use the OS X Lion installer from the Mac App Store to create an external bootable drive, complete with a Recovery HD partition. This approach will, at least, create a bootable drive with Recovery HD which you can carry with you in case you need to use Internet Restore or make use of the other utilities Recovery HD provides.

This in case you are using Boot Camp. I wasn't certain about the windows portion of this, and have just found out you supposably can't d/l/ the windows partition.. I just learned something myself.

Most Windows backup utilities only backup certain files such as user files but don't do a cloned backup. So you usually have to make a recovery disc with the backup software so you can reinstall Windows and then restore your data from the backup.

You can use any Windows backup software to backup the Windows volume to an external drive appropriately formatted NTFS. You can restore from the same drive.

That said OS X installers only work on the OS X volume so they would not affect the Windows volume.
    Last edited by sparkyscott21; 11-08-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I use and recommend for my clients a combination of both time Machine and Super duper. The only need with Time machine is to use a much larger hard drive than the source drive. If you have a 1tb HD use at least 2tb as the backup is incremental . One can always start over again if required. You may ask why I use Super duper as well...... It is about security of data.
    I use for a small business solution 3 drives all up.
    1) using the above with time machine permanently connected to the computer.
    2) 1tb second drive color coded red.
    3) 1tb third drive color coded yellow

I set up Superduper to back up Red Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Back up Yellow Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.I also recommend taking theses drives off site or at least put them in a place where they cannot be found. This protection covers the user from total loss of hardware ie stolen or destroyed by water or what ever as well as theft. It also means one can take any drive to another computer of same OS and continue working. All drives are FireWire 800 with 400 firewire adapters if needed. Hope this helps.

Ps Super duper is the. Best. With out question.... Easy to use and very reliable.

Rule number one.. Ask yourself what would it cost to replace all your data plus down time if the worst thing happened. Then go buy the drives spend a bit of time implementing the back up procedures and relax.
    ok
    Back up..... back up..... back up

col.bris
    Administrator

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Thanks Col.

I didn't know that.. Now I have something else to study up on, as I haven't heard that much on Super Duper.
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyscott21 View Post
    Thanks Col.

I didn't know that.. Now I have something else to study up on, as I haven't heard that much on Super Duper.
    Hello,

Likewise, Thanks Col...

Wow, the information and another continuing learning experience to be had by one and all..

Thanks!

Ed

Member #
    Check out Twin. It can do incremental backups to local disks, FTP, webDAV and to Amazon S3. Backs up I. The background. http://www.adnx.com/software/twin4mac.html

---
    Jack Zimmermann
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    After reading all this I guess I have become a bit paranoid ...So far I have only backed up with TM but as we "speak" , I am making an other backup with Super Duper. Everything running smoothly for the moment..I'm very far from being an expert , but I must say that Super Duper is perfect for me , very easy to use and understand. Thank you for the tip Col :-))))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads