MALWARE help for older MAC

This is a discussion on MALWARE help for older MAC within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Here is my situation, I have a MAC PRO OSX 10.6.8 running Snow Leopard. I'm looking for a antivirus/Malware software that will work on my ...

Member #

MALWARE help for older MAC

Here is my situation, I have a MAC PRO OSX 10.6.8 running Snow Leopard. I'm looking for a antivirus/Malware software that will work on my computer. I looked at Bitdefender 2016 and could not run it on my computer, I would need 10.8 or higher. I don't want to change operating systems due to other programs I would also need to upgrade (Pro Tools) which I don't want to. Any suggestions on Malware protection that would work on 10.6.8 ? If I went with an older Bitdefender 2015 which might work on a 10.6.8, but would that take care on newer malware? Thank you!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, whilst OSX is sadly no longer immune to malware attacks, it is still not a particularly high priority target for those who spread these viruses....there just aren't enough people running the OS to make it a worthwhile target. It is as true today as it has ever been, in that you are most likely to become infected by clicking links in emails and websites you do not know the source of. Both the attackers and the businesses that make money by selling us software to try and prevent us being attacked, live off peoples fears and lack of common sense. I do not run anti virus or malware software on any of my Macs or PCs. I am just careful what websites I visit, and never even open an email if I don't recognise who it is from, and I have never been infected with any type of virus or malware.

As a result, I can not recommend any particular software tool, but would add, that if you are running Snow Leopard, I would doubt if any software vendor has maintained the virus/malware definitions in their software to that extent.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads