Airdrop speed question

This is a discussion on Airdrop speed question within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; I don't really understand how Airdrop works under the hood, but... My wife's MBA and my MBP can usually connect via Airdrop (usually). We are ...

Member #

Airdrop speed question

I don't really understand how Airdrop works under the hood, but...

My wife's MBA and my MBP can usually connect via Airdrop (usually). We are both on Capitan.

BUT, why is my transfer rate so slow? We're on the same wi-fi.

I can copy an AVI to a USB drive and copy it to her computer in 1-2 minutes. Airdrop will do the same in about 30 minutes.

Is that right?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    I'm not exactly sure how Airdrop works under the hood either, but I do know that it requires a Bluetooth connection as well as wifi. The devices need to be relatively close to each other, but not necessarily on the same wireless network. It is possible that Bluetooth is used to keep the ad-hoc connection alive, and that this is the weak spot in the procedure. I have never found Bluetooth particularly reliable in any situation, so I never use Airdrop at all. To be perfectly honest, as long as File Sharing is set up on both your Macs, and you are on the same wifi network, you should see each other's Macs in Finder so can simply transfer files via drag and drop....no need to have your Macs touching each other either!!

Check out this Apple support page if you don't know how to set up File Sharing:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204445
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    I tried the File Sharing a couple of years ago. I ended up having so many problems with "Read Only", etc. and the Macs seemingly randomly disallowing access to various files or folders, regardless of how it was configured that I just said "bah."

Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how Airdrop works under the hood either, but I do know that it requires a Bluetooth connection as well as wifi. The devices need to be relatively close to each other, but not necessarily on the same wireless network. It is possible that Bluetooth is used to keep the ad-hoc connection alive, and that this is the weak spot in the procedure. I have never found Bluetooth particularly reliable in any situation, so I never use Airdrop at all. To be perfectly honest, as long as File Sharing is set up on both your Macs, and you are on the same wifi network, you should see each other's Macs in Finder so can simply transfer files via drag and drop....no need to have your Macs touching each other either!!

Check out this Apple support page if you don't know how to set up File Sharing:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204445

Remove Ads

Ads