Updated OSX and now my Mac is slow starting up

This is a discussion on Updated OSX and now my Mac is slow starting up within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Hi all, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I recently updated my Macbook Pro to the latest El Capitan updated (I ...

Member #

Updated OSX and now my Mac is slow starting up

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I recently updated my Macbook Pro to the latest El Capitan updated (I believe security was the main theme for it) and since then my mac is a lot slower logging in. The actual start from black screen to log in is actually pretty normal but it now comes up with a task bar and seems to stall for a good 5-10 seconds and if I have an external HDD plugged in it stalls altogether (never used to do that).

I should also mention that when I did the update it also froze two thirds of the way through the process, called up Apple and they gave me a combination of command-option-P-R and that allowed the update to go through.

This isn't a world ending issue but it is quite frustrating when computer that is working perfectly has now started having issues after an update that is meant to improve the thing!

FWIW it's a Macbook Pro 13" Retina Early 2013 Model and I'm on El Capitan 10.11.6

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Hi, When did you do the update? It could be that Spotlight is still indexing, Until it's finished your Mac might run slow.
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

Member #
    Thanks for the response Poisonivy, life got a little busy there so I forgot to check back! I did the update basically the day I wrote this post, I think it has got better but it's still going through a progress bar when it logs in which it didn't use to do. All in all it's not a critical issue, more of an annoyance given the lighting speed it used to load up at.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Hi, Thanks for posting back, You could try a Restart if you haven't already, It might clear any glitches.
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

Remove Ads

Ads