Apple mail has been Hacked

This is a discussion on Apple mail has been Hacked within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; My Apple mail has been hacked and my contacts are receiving bogus emails that appear to be from me but the sender address is "executivepresident05@aol.com" ...

Member #

Apple mail has been Hacked

My Apple mail has been hacked and my contacts are receiving bogus emails that appear to be from me but the sender address is "executivepresident05@aol.com"

I probably did it to myself yesterday when a small window appeared on my screen when I was online saying words to the effect " a software upgrade is required to communicate with Doug's I-phone" ( download or continue).

I ignored it several times but stupidly clicked on download. It downloaded in a couple of minutes. I later checked my Software Update listing for the past 30 days and it was not listed so i suspected I was had.

My first phone call came an hour or so later from a friend that thought it was legit. Several friends have received emails saying " Do you have a moment?" Others get this message "Allen , sorry am putting this to you, I am tied up right now, Can you purchase iTunes gift card 6 pieces - $100 each? I would reimburse you when am through here, Let me know also I would prefer to call you but can't receive or call at the moment with my line".

How do i purge this from my system? OS 10.13.6 iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017),8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 3 GHz Intel Core i5

Help!
    Doug

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Without knowing exactly what you have managed to install, it is very difficult to suggest what to do. I would, as a matter of course change all you email account passwords, and look at the web accounts that also use that email address. You could also try downloading an antivirus app and running a scan....most of the 'big boys', Avast, Avira, Sophos, have free versions of their software.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 11.4.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 11.4.1

Remove Ads

Ads